what shifter to use? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

i have a 67 with a console i recently installed a turbo 350 what shifter can i use with my console with out cutting it up?i was going to use a hurst ratcheting shifter for the four speed look.please help me decide.
thanx,
woody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 08:03 AM
Senior Tech

I used a stock powerglide shifter modified with a shiftworks conversion when I put the 700R4 in my 67. I even got the lens cover for the console to match the four gears. Works great, even at the track.
Stephen

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 700R4
69 SS clone unfinished
72 454 Weekend Racer
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 03:53 PM

I can tell you that a B&M QuickSilver shifter will NOT work. It is to tall to fit under the console. I've looked for some time now for one that will fit under the console without butchering it, and I haven't been able to find one. Are you sure the Hurst Ratchet will fit? Are you talking about the Indy-Matic 1 Shifter? Have you measured one? I haven't found one at my local speed shop and none of the parts books I have have the height specs. If it does work, post another entry here so I can pick one up. Presently, I'm getting by with my stock powerglide factory shifter, using home built shifter rod and transmission lever to make it function with my turbo 350. I didn't want to convert my original 2-speed over to a 3-speed in case I wanted to re-install my powerglide at a future date. So I, too, am looking for a good shifter.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 03:58 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

I just fit a Quicksilver in my 68's original console. I did require the persuasion of a hacksaw and drill, but it went in ok.

I don't know if the 67 console is lower or something.

Brad
68, 327, TH350, (some assembly required)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

alright iguess i try to convert my factory shifter.but now do i need to get a powerglide shift rod and gerry rig it?or just get a shifter conversion kit?
thanx,
woody
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 01:49 PM

The 67 convertible I brought 6 months ago already had a B&M Quicksilver shifter fitted on to the TH400. I am not that keen on the look of this shifter as it does not suit my original interior. So I am seriously considering finding an original shifter and adding the modified linkages to fit the TH400. If one of you guys are ripping out an original shifter and chucking it in the back of the garage, drop me a line as I want to get hold of one.
Thanks
STM67
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 02:21 PM
Senior Tech

I used the powerglide rod on my 700R4, just had to re-bend it a little. The shiftworks kit had the part that bolts to the shaft on the tranny for the rod.
Stephen

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 700R4
69 SS clone unfinished
72 454 Weekend Racer
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 04:08 PM

I researched this awhile back and came up with a B&M Megashifter kit for a late 80's console Camaro. It has a shorter shifter. I haven't installed yet but layed it out with the '68-69 console and looks like it should fit. Only mods I should have to make is a new top plate to give it that factory look. Not sure about a '67, but might be worth a look. Hope this helps.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 00, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Cool

THANKS EVERYONE GOING TO PUT A HURST SHIFTER AND MODIFY WHAT EVER IT TAKES SEE YALL AT TURKEY ROD IN DAYTONA NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 00, 01:00 PM

What about a B&M Mega shifter. It uses a cable and is easy to install. The only complaint I had with mine was that it seemed to require a lot of muscle to shift it. Maybe they are all like that, I don't know.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 00, 06:45 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Use one like this and I'll guarantee you'll never miss a shift :

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 00, 09:22 AM

Talking

A hurst quater stick will work in the console. Just buy the 4 speed shift plate for the console with the 4 speed boot. You have to trim a hole in the boot for the reverse lockout but it looks very good.

------------------
67 Camaro Convertible
97 Vette
Chevrolet powered boat 28ft Profile cat 502EFI Procharged with 13lbs boost radar 112 MPH
95 Z28 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode