700r4? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Does it need to be modified to fit into a 71 camaro? and what is the most h.p. and torque it can handle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech
Markus

I think you have to shorten the drive shaft and to fabricate a new transmission bracket.
(Perhaps you could modify a TH 400 crossmember).
Look for a setup to use the look up converter.

------------------
69`Camaro, 92`LT 1 / 4L60
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 05:31 AM

Several good articles on this. HemmingsSept/Oct 2000, "bulletproofiing the 700-r4, pics and good tech stuff. Also look at Swap into OD, Chevy HP Jan 2000, explains all the shaft differences, mounting, and part nums you'll need going from t400 or th350 to either 2r or 700.. ALSO, search this web site, these guys have good disscusions on this topic for 2 years. Good Luck, mine is being built now to replace my th-350.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 06:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

The 700's will handle about 450 ft. lbs. with all the right parts. A 2004R can handle much more (700+ h.p.)when built right and is an easier swap. I had one in my 72 Camaro. It was built by Bruce at http://www.ptsnctb.com/.

If you have a poweerglide, TH350, or 3/4 speed manual it's a direct bolt-in with a TH400 crossmember. The stock yoke and driveshaft remain the same. If you currently have a TH400 it's a direct bolt-in and only needs a yoke/driveshaft from a 4 speed or TH350 car.

Give Bruce a call at (916) 739-0510. I had over 600 h.p. in the 72 at one time and the trans worked flawlessly.

Jody
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 03:15 PM

A guy I know says he has nothing but trouble with 700 trannies. He finally went with a th400. I want a 700 but am not sure how strong they really are. I know people out there say they race them with loads of power but what do they have in them to make them last?

------------------
69 Camaro 454
71 Nova 454

If your not living on the edge then your taking up too much space
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 05:54 PM

Thumbs up

hey,ijust put a new 700r4 in my 91 camaro that is powered by a 396 bbc that is making 487 RWHP on motor alone,and i drive it every day ,and run 12.08 et's at the track 11.7's with the juice on weekends. i bought this trans from BOWTIE OVERDRIVES. www.700r4.com they say it's good for 11.00 et's safely.
as for the drive shaft,i think a TH400 will work,along with the crossmember,but i'm not sure.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech

Just to save some time, I will again state that a HIGHLY MODIFIED R700 CAN live behind a max. of about 500HP and 500 ft.lbs. of torque but THAT IS ALL.

A 2004R from Bruce (WE4) is good up to a MAX of 650-700HP and THAT IS ALL.

The reason the 2004R can be built stronger is that BILLET STEEL components are availble for that tranny from people like BRUCE. The R700 doesn't have that type of parts availabilty yet (billet steel parts).

If you plan on running slicks and ARE at the MAX limits as specified above DO NOT EXPECT the tranny to be able to take this type of abuse long term.

The reason I know all this specifically about the R700 is that I broke that tranny four times already with a 650 HP setup. Failures ranged from a SHATTERED input drum to 3-4 clutches becoming toast. NO ONE makes a R700 tranny at this time that will live in this type of environment especially if you do as I do and use your car as a daily driver.

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 03-27-2001).]
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech

sr71bb - Bowtie Overdrive http://www.700r4.com claims the tranny will live forever on 11.00 or slower. He said he has been doing these trannies for years with no problems at all. They do come with a guarantee. I ordered 2 to go behind a 502 in a 67 camaro and a 70 chevelle. I will let everyone know just how well they hold up.

Lee
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech

I would be willing to BET ANY AMOUNT of money that it won't live behind mine. The only problem with a warranty is that unless the guy is local, it is just to much of a hassle shipping the broke tranny back and forth.

Please keep us updated as to how yours holds up. My guess is that in 6 months or less the clutches will be toast but I could be wrong and I REALLY hope I am.

If you put that BOWTIE tranny behind a stock 502, I could see that it might possibly hold up because that still is just 500HP.

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 03-29-2001).]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 12:14 PM

a 200R4 is built for a light weight car.it isn't ment for the heavy weight cars like a camaro,chevelle,ect.... that's why they made the 700r4. also if you do decided to get a 700r4 buy an 87 up trans.the old one's are **** !!!!!!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 12:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

The Buick Grand Nationals ran 2004R's, not 700's and they're at least as heavy as the Camaro is. The 2004R will DEFINITELY take more abuse than the 700 when both are built correctly.

Jody
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech

Now children lets not fight. what ever works for you use it. If you can get a real guarantee from a local builder use what he builds. I have never used either one I always stuck with a 400 they gave me no trouble but mine weren't street cars

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech

Actually OGER,

It is not that we are really fighting over this, it is just that there are some of us that have spent tremendous amounts of money and time on solutions only to find later that they WILL NOT work. I have a great tranny guy here locally in Larry and we both had to go thru a pretty painful learning curve of a high horsepower 700R application. He warrantied the tranny FOUR times but we both came to the same conclusion, that being that the 700R was the wrong choice for a 650HP application. If someone still chooses to try and make a 700R work in a similiar situation, my sincere hope is that something can be learned from our experience. I am especially sensitive to those that can not afford the cost of a misapplication and that is why I share the info. I never really believe the claims of a vendor until I try their product out for myself and more often than not, there are some "GOTCHAS" somewhere!!!

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 03-30-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode