Drooling For Tremec 5 Speed - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Question

I have read alot about the Tremec tr-3550 and have made up my mind to get one. Problem is, Mike Forte is a little more than I can afford right now. I've already got about $14,000 over two years into this money pit and frankly I want to drive the damn thing someday. (It looks damn nice in my garage though.) I can find Ford versions for about $1200. Is it unrealistic to maybe change the input shaft over to Chevy or is it more involved than that? If it comes down to it, I'll find the money to spend with Mikey. Maybe there's someone who lives close who would like to buy one at the same time. I've heard of people getting a couple hundred $$ knocked off by doing that.

------------------
Custom 69 Viper Red w/no stripes, cowl hood, spoiler. Building 383 stroker and wishing for Tremec tr-3550 so I can cruise it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech

I saw this one on the classifieds, I think it's about as cheap as you can find. Make him an offer he can't refuse, it's worth a shot......KZ https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/cyber...hoto_size=full

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396 CLONE!
http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanks kz1000ltd. I e-mailed him an offer. Hope he goes for it.

You have a pretty bad *** car, by the way!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 04:17 PM
Senior Tech

James;

In the Technical Reference section of this site you will find an article done by Mike Pell on his installation of a Tremec in a Chevelle. You may want to check it out.

One REAL big issue (and I've confirmed it with Tremec) is that Fortes is the ONLY authorized dealer of units modified for G.M.'s. This is due to the fact that Mike Fortes paid for the tooling required for the conversion (Tremec supplies the parts to Fortes). The reason this is important has to deal with any form of guarantee. If anybody does the modification and it's not authorized by Tremec, you are pretty much on your own if anything breaks!!!

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference Section
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 05:40 PM

You can go the Ford route also. I put a Tremec in my 79 Z28 going the Ford route about four years ago.... before I ever heard of Forte.

It requires two pieces from Lakewood: 1) a special pilot bearing for the back of the crank and 2) an adapter bellhousing (at least it is explosion proof, which my stock aluminum one was not).

You also use a Mustang throwout bearing which will mate with a Chevy clutch fork after a simple mod is made to the fork. You also use a Ford coarse spline clutch disc (I forget if it is 10 or 11 spline). You will also need a Ford yoke to be put onto the end of your driveshaft will needs to be made shorter in any event. Finally, you will need to modify and / or move your crossmember back. I fabricated a tranny mount out of billet aluminum and used the Ford spaced tapped holes in the bottom of the tranny to attach the mount.

If I had it do all over again I would go the Forte route, but rest assured you can make it work just as well by starting with a Ford tranny.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 11:09 PM

Smile

I want a richmond 5-speed. Any one want to lend me the money?

69er
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Thanks for the insight you guys. I think I'll pass on the Ford route. You have to admit, Forte's got the perfect setup. I'll just have to bite the bullet and order one.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 06:49 AM

One thing the tko is a little weak in 3rd gear the new hd is much better if you are running a lot of hp. I know I have brock some of them every time 3rd gear.

TIM

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 07:23 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Tim Meredith: You say third gear fails in the TKO version...I thought that was the heavy duty version with the 3550 the "standard" version? Is there another version?

Another individual used a Ford TKO Tremec and did the same thing-$400 bellhousing, etc with the tremec only running $1299 from http://www.ddperformance.com/index2.htm

Either way I think it would be a nice improvement over only 4 gears.

------------------
1969 Nova SS 350
406/M20/3.55
13.82 at 105
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 07:34 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

The only major differences between the 3550 and TKO is the output shaft and tail housing. The gearsets are interchangable.

The TKO-II sports a new 3rd and I belive 5th gears/ratios.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

That guy e-mailed me back about the Tremec he had in the classified section. Too bad... He sold it. Damn, It was a great deal too. I'm going to the local drive-in food joint to talk with a couple of guys who ordered from Forte's at the same time. I'm still interested in buddying up with someone who lives in my area.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 09:30 AM

CarlC knows what he is talking about. Have not heard of anyone bracking one yet but raceing season is gest now starting we will see.I am like you 5 is better than 4 on the road.

TIM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode