Cleaning Gasket Surfaces - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 02, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I was a fan of scotchbrite pads until this post by BillK...

Scotchbrite pads + engine = FAILURE
Keep them away from any engine part. GM and the AERA has many many service bulletins on this subject. It is virtually impossible to get all the residue from these pads cleaned up and they are very very abrasive. One tiny particle of the stuff will cause bearing failure.
Fair warning....
------------------
Bill Koustenis
https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum9/HTML/007840.html

Does this hold true of the small circular ones for use on a drill or die grinder?

Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 02, 04:52 PM
Bill

Yup

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 02, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Try single edge razor blades, thats the best thing I've found yet. I also ocassionally use an old wood chisell or a toothbrush sized wire brush.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 02, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Eric, you've been taught well!!

I've been using razor blades ever since high school. Quick, easy and clean, just remember to use a new blade.

Learn it from my Auto Mechanics teacher, Noel Jones, God bless his soul....

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR DISAPPEAR UPON RAPID ACCELERATION"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 02, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I will definitely give the razor blade a try.

The pads on a die grinder sure leave the surface looking good and it is easy but not at the expense of a motor...

I once had an engine guy recommend using scotchbrite pads for cleaning the decks because he believed it would not damage the surface

thanks,
Joe
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 02, 02:58 AM
Bill

I would like to try and elaborate on the problems with the scotchbrite pads.....
If you are cleaning a part off the engine, they are ok, as long as you get every bit of the residue off out of the part so it cannot get into the engine. The material they are made of that cleans so good will also eat bearings for dinner.
One of the biggest problems we see with them, is guys do not realize how abrasive they really are. It is next to impossible to use them and end up with a flat surface, especially on aluminum heads and intake manifolds. We get late model aluminum heads in the shop every day that have been "cleaned" with the scotchbrite pads and they are so wavy that they have to be resurfaced, even though they were not warped to begin with
Having said all that, I personally have used the discs to clean intake surfaces on heads that are still on the motor, and still in the car, and I have never had a problem. But I am anal about covering everything with rags, stuffing paper towels in the intake ports etc etc, then cleaning everything with the shop vac when I am done. We use them everyday in the shop on heads that we know are going to be resurfaced and cleaned anyway.
Scotchbrite pads are like any other tool, if you use them properly, and with care, they are great.....but if you dont, they will bite you !

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

OKay Bill, that sounds reasonable. I was wondering if "one tiny particle" was microscopic....

thanks,
Joe
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech

Thats very interesting info. I have always used scotchbrite on extra crusty surfaces but never thought it could kill an engine. I mostly like to use wire wheels on a die grinder...especially the brass ones. Is this ok, or do they eat up the surface too?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Alum is very soft material. Any item of harder material will surely erode away the alum.

AS Eric68 & myself stated, we use a single edge razor blade, as in a window sticker remover. Use a new blade when required, when it digs into the metal.

I've never had a problem, nice and smooth gasket surface. Then treat with lacquer thinner to clean. Wipe away excess thinner.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR DISAPPEAR UPON RAPID ACCELERATION"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Everett, too bad I never had HS auto shop . . . I might have learned about the razor blade thing sooner. I didn't figure it out until just recently
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 02:29 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Permatex sells a tube of something thats supposed to work well. of course I forgot what its called
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

chalk me up as another razor blade user, then clean w/ lacquer thinner or brake clean. another neat trick i learned working as a mechanic, was for tougher gasket removal, take an old flat file , of any size you choose, and grind a 45 degree (or so) taper on the flat end, being careful not to over heat and mess up the temper of the file, and voila! a cheap gasket scraper that works great, and keeps it edge. just a tip i learned long ago, hope it's useful to someone else!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 09:53 PM
Senior Tech

I have been using razor blades since the beginning. I am still curious though...does the wire wheels on a die grinder damage the surface? I have never had a sealing problem after using one, nor have I with scotchbrite.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 02, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

I have a small tringle file that has a triangle shaped lathe cutting tip welded on the end. It's about 5/16" wide and very sharp and hard. Best gasket scraper I have ever seen. I can push it or pull on it depending on the surface. Doesn't scratch the surface either. I can get into corners, etc.
A guy at work made it for me about 20 years ago and it is still as sharp and straight as ever.
Maybe I should patent it and sell them!!

joe

------------------
69 Rat-Infested Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/joeg/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode