High octane gasoline question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 03, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I did a search and did not find the info I needed so I'll ask and this might be a silly question.....
At the dragstip I go to they sell 110 octane fuel if you bring an approved container. I have been wanting to try some of this in my car ( My 1969 with some engine specs ) but was affraid it might hurt it. I am not exactly sure as to what was done to my motor when it was built but the guy did say they used "high performance" parts such as valves, pistons, crank, cam. etc. I purchased this car with the motor already built and installed. I can see some of the external 'performance parts' such as roller rockers, double row timing chain and it does have an over sized cam. Would I be able to tell any difference in performance if I were to try this fuel? Also, since I am not sure if there are really "performance parts" in my motor, can you mix this high octane fuel with pump gas say 50/50?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 03, 12:25 PM

The only real gain you will 'see' or feel is if you were to rejet and re-time you car for the change in fuel. Hence a trip or two to the strip to dial it all in.

The higher octane, the slower the burn, the leaner you can jet without getting into detonation and other problems.

Other than that, the 'aeromatics' of the fuel are enjoyable.

I dont have a mixing chart for 110 R/M, but there is one for 100 R/M on 76's site: web page
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 03, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the info!!
Yea, and I do like the 'aeromatics' it. Such a high price to pay for fuel for that! But it's worth it when peoples' heads turn when you pull up to a cruise-in and the sweeeeeeeeeeeeet smell of racing fuel fills the air!!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 03, 02:43 PM

Cool

He, He!! Drop a gallon or maybe two of Toluene in your tank and see if that don't help??

An octane booster that has been posted is like. 1 gallon of Toluene.
1 quart of Diesel fuel and,
1 pint of ATF.

And I forgot to check my machine at work today for the percent bosost for each batch of this mixture added... pdq67

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 03, 03:01 PM

Unless you are running 13/1 or higher compression, You dont need that high octane. You will be wasting money and go slower. What compression are you running?

Charlie Boyd
www.boydracing.com
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 03, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I do not know what the compression is. When I went to pick this car up the seller told me all the specs and like a [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] I did not write any of it down. I was just so excited to be picking up my car this info went in one ear and out the other.
I do know it is healthy for what I have seen and how it performs compared to other similar motors. I was just curious if using some high octane fuel would make a big difference or not. Thanks for the info... [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode