Motor on engine stand 4 yrs - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 04, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Unhappy

My son had a 350 built by a speed shop 4 yrs ago and the motor is still on the engine stand. He died and I have the motor now. I was told to spray penitrating oil, followed by shot of oil down the spark plug holes and turn the motor by the crank bolt. I did this and it turns but not easy. I used an 18" 1/2" drive bar to turn it. Any ideas? Maybe it is suppose to turn tight. Will it need to be disassembled?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 04, 02:40 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

with the plugs out, it should turn fairly easily.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 04, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
Sorry to hear about your son.

Like Unreal said, were the plugs out?

-Funk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 04, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yes all the plugs were out. I turned it with one hand but it was hard. The only thing I could do is have it disassembled, checked and reassembled. That would cost.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 04, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Unless the engine was in a wet area or outside I doubt you need to disassemble it. I wouldn't turn it over a bunch of times right now. The lube used could be a little stiff/dry. I would fill the engine with oil, a few drops in the cylinders as well. Pre-lube it on the stand if you can and turn the engine over a few times. I bet it will loosen right up. You also didn't mention the cam type, so if the pockers are on and set this will make it a bit harder to turn over as well. It shouldn't spin like a wheeel in any case, there will be some resistance. I bet the engine is fine as long as it was stored inside.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 04, 08:16 PM

You should also look into backing off the rockers to keep the valve springs from being compressed for long periods of time. Over time they will loose tension and create problems when you do get the engine running. Fogging oil in the cylinders will keep them in good shape. Most marine engine retailers carry it for storing boat engines.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 04, 05:46 AM

Smile

A couple, three squirts good old Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and when you crank her up, do like some body mentioned somewhere about adding say three maybe four more quarts, (I always use straight run petroleum based oil like 20wt or 30wt for break-in), to her so that you get a really good violent oil splash up on the cam and piston skirts.

Don't forget a bottle of EOS, too!!

Don't worry about oil foaming now, but rather, you want the oil splash thing....

Run her til she's broken in and then drain her and then add oil and EOS back, (EOS again, IF you want to??), and you should be good to go, imho.

Heaven know's, my 496 has been on my stand for what seems like ages...

pdq67

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 04, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

Thanks everyone, somethings get a little overwhelming. I have a 68 shell, and it will be long project (wiring, engine, trans, interior) but I will restore in my son's memory. It was his first car. The engine is 350 4bolt, 9.5 TRW pistons, 268 H Comp XE cam, Dart aluminum heads. Yes the rockers are on and set by the speed shop. It was stored inside garage. What is EOS? When you say pre-lube you mean prime the oil pump w/ drill? Again thanks everyone. [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 04, 07:45 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

EOS is Engine Oil Suppliment. You get it at your GM dealer, comes in a little plastic bottle (pint I believe).

Yes, pre lubing is turning the oil pump with a drill and a priming tool.

If the engine is going to be sitting, I would suggest backing off the rockers until it is ready to run.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 04, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode