Valve train tick....tick....tick... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 03, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I’ve been chasing a low rpm valve train tick. It starts out at about 1000rpm then seems to go away upwards of 2000 or so. I’ve replaced the lifters, rockers and checked the push rods for straightness. Today I started pulling valve springs and I guess I should have started here. Several of the valve seals are missing and one umbrella seal is gone. This makes me think that these springs have been off and on a lot before. Anyway the question is with the valve locks. I’ve found one that with the spring removed if I hold the locks around the stem I can move the locks up and down a little. There appears to be some wear on the valve stem grove where to locks go. Could this be the source of the tick? Based on the type of metal, which would wear first the lock or the stem? Would it be worth a try to replace the locks?

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 03, 05:26 PM

the valve stem would be the worn part most likely. the locks are hardened.

i doubt it's the source of the tick, but who knows?

time to take off the heads and have all the springs checked, or just replaced, as well as replacing worn/bent valves and valve guides.

i s'pose you could just do what you can without taking off the heads, but it sounds like you really should replace at least one valve, and have the rest checked.
how bad do you want it to be right, and how right do you want it? (rhetorical)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

The more I've thought about it the more I think you're probably right. [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img]
But on the bright side maybe the time has come for those Trick Flows I've been looking at. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the advice.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode