tremec shifter: stock or pro 5.0? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

guys,

im in the process of ordering my new tremec tko 5 speed.

you guys with tko's.... what shifter did you go with (standard or pro 5.0)?

are you happy with your choice? why/why not?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 02:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I tried both; the stock shifter isn't bad, but the Pro 5.0 is shorter and just feels tighter. I just ordered one today to go with my new TKO.

Jody

------------------
MY CAMARO
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

what kind of clutch? mccleod?

do you have it in yet? how was the install?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 03:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

It's not in yet. I bought the Ford version of the TKO for $1349 new. Then I used the McLeod adaptor bellhousing #8635. It's only $85. more than their normal scattershield but comes with the aluminum adaptor to mount the Tremec. Dark Horse Performance supplied the adaptor pilot bushing and the Pro 5.0 shifter with Hurst handle and white ball knob. I am running the McLeod oval track dual disc with aluminum flywheel and center hub. Much stronger than their street twin, much lighter, and will shift well at high rpms. It also will handle 1200+ HP. I'm using a Tilton hydraulic throwout bearing as I have no mounting provisions on the Arias block or Wayne Due subframe for the stock bellcrank assembly. I've got a hydraulic clutch master and bracket coming from Teetoe Jones that bolts up to the stock pedal assembly.

I'll let you know how it goes when it's finished. As I said I've had a couple of these TKO's and have been very happy with them. Tough units that shift very smoothly.

Jody

------------------
MY CAMARO
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

so am i understanding that with a special bellhousing/adapter, i could use a ford tko on my 468?? id love to save 500 bucks! or is there more to it than that?

thanks jody!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 07:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Yes, that's true. McLeod actually sells the adaptor separately from the bellhousing so I don't see why it couldn't be used with a standard stock bellhousing or Lakewood, etc. Their housings are pricey which is why I mention that but I think they're better quality than the Lakewood units.

There's only two issues at that point; because of the spacer the trans would be about 3/4" further back than the modified Chevy versions. No biggie to me. You would also have to modify a Ford throwout bearing to work (which a friend did on the second gen board pretty easily) or run a hydraulic unit like I am. Other than that it will definitely save you some money. I think they're getting about $2000. for the Chevy version and the Ford one is $1349 new from D&D Performance. I had this exact set-up in my Cobra with the 406 and it worked flawlessly.

Jody

------------------
MY CAMARO
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

jody, hmmmm i will definitely look into this today! do you have a link on the board (im assuming nastyz28.com or whatever it is)? or maybe who posted it?

so did you get the "kit" for 1300 or just the tranny? the kit from forte includes speedo cable, tranny fluid, yoke, crossmember etc?

regardless though, the tranny through forte is 18XX... thats 500 more for basically the same tranny....

does the ford version have the same power handling capabilities? (hp/torque)?

thanks jody, youre a great help!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 04:57 AM
Senior Tech

JKS67SS396,

Do you need a trans yoke for your TKO? I have a new one for the Tremec TKO that is un-used, it came with my trans that I purchased from Fortes, you can have it cheap.....My new alumin. driveshaft has 1350 u-joints on both ends (the Moser 12bolt I have uses 1350 a u-joint) so the stock TKO yoke is not needed.

Good luck with your trans install. It is a very simple swap......The hardest part is dialing in the bellhousing.

Larry
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 05:58 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

There's nothing in the Forte's kit that cannot be done locally.

The speedo cable is easy. Have one made with the tranny side from a 5.0 manual trans Mustang, and the speedo side stock GM. You can have it made to your specs. The speedo shop should also sell the retaining fork used to hold the cable into the trans.

The yoke is just a C6 piece. Cheap.

GM Syncromesh is about $7/qt. It takes three quarts.

The crossmember is the hardest part but if you have some fabrication skills and a welder it can be done in an afternoon. With the adapter plate moving the trans back a bit the Forte's crossmember might not fit.

The only difference between the GM and Ford TKO is the input shaft and the re-drilling of the bolt holes on the case to match the GM bellhousing. Internal components are the same.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 06:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

The yoke and shifter (no handle) come with the trans at that price. I'm trying to get the info on the throwout bearing mods as I type. I'll e-mail you his contact info.

Jody

------------------
MY CAMARO

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 10-02-2002).]
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 08:18 AM

Jody asked me to chime in on this one which I am happy to do. I did the Ford version swap on my '79 Z28.

I used the Lakewood adapter bellhousing because I needed an explosion proof unit anyway and didn't own one in the Chevy pattern (my bellhousing was the stock lightweight one that came with the car).
I used a Ford throwout bearing. I wish I could provide a part number, but I can't. I understand that Ford used the same throwout bearing for years and years. What worked for me was going into the local NAPA and asking for a throwout bearing for a 1968 Mustang 289 with a four speed.

You can use the Chevy fork with the Ford bearing if you trim the clip on the fork. You need to "shorten" it on both ends of the "U" shape so it clips over the Ford bearing. Sorta hard to explain via a keyboard, but easy to see when you are holding both parts in your hands. I used a dremel tool to cut off the ends. That's it....just lube the bearing and install.

Oh yeah, you are also going to need a Ford clutch disc (wanna say 10 or 11 spline....I know it is much coarser than the one that came with my Super T-10 tranny).

I got my setup about four years ago from Dark Horse Performance. They are knowledgeable Ford guys and could point you in the right direction with specific part numbers, etc. Nice guys.

Hope this helps some.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

I had asked about this before but didn't get much response. So, we're saying a stock tremec can be used with a ford t/o bearing, slight modification to the gm fork and a special bellhousing and/or an adaptor plate is all that is required? What is the tq/hp rating on these units? Seems something has to be beefed up in order to get the "TKO"??

Also, how does the "stock" Ford tremec do with a fist gen console? Can you still relocate the shifter position?

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice Wagon
'99 Venture Van

[This message has been edited by bretcopsey (edited 10-02-2002).]
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

"You need to "shorten" it on both ends of the "U" shape so it clips over the Ford bearing."

got pictures? i dont know anything about this stuff (gonna learn fast though). so you shorten the fork prongs to cradle the ford throwout bearing?

also, your tko is a 10 spline???? the one i was gonna buy is a 26 spline. jody, whats yours? is the ford tko different than the GM tko?

also, carl, do you have a template or measurements for your cross member mods?

did you start with a TH400 crossmember?

thanks guys! youre helping a lot!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 10:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

The Tremec 3550 (must be what Mike has) uses a 10 spline input shaft. The TKO uses the same 1 1/8" 26 spline that GM uses so a stock Chevy clutch for the above works great. The output shaft is larger on the TKO also but the yoke comes with the trans.

By the way, thanks Mike for the info. I was wondering what the mods were for the throwout bearing. Sounds very easy.
------------------
MY CAMARO

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 10-02-2002).]
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

No dimensions for the crossmember, but fabrication is easy. Just cut off and re-weld the tab on the other side of the TH400 crossmember. Mock it up in the car to center the trans and to get it up into the tunnel as far as possible. But it's a really tight fit. The tab get re-located to the front of the crossmember and is almost too far forward. With the adapter plate it may be too far forward. Same would be true for Forte's part. You may have to section the crossmember to make it fit.

You may want to check the archives on this. The crossmember has been covered in-depth several times.
------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

[This message has been edited by CarlC (edited 10-02-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode