Won't start after running out of gas. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

This is not my vehicle, but I may be able to get it really cheap. This is an 89 GMC Z-71 pickup. 350/5 spd. The truck ran out of gas and now they can't get it started. I don't know the details of what they tried, but knowing this guy, he probably just poured gas in and turned it over. Any ideas on if there is somekind of reset switch or bleeding procedure for this motor? I believe the 89's were fuel injected. They have bought a new truck and this one has only been sitting like this for about a week. I wouldn't mind having a 4x4 cheap if I had a starting point to look for the no start problem. It ran fine up until it was ran out of fuel. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 04:36 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Turn the key to the run position and see if you can hear the fuel pump. I've seen where someone runs out of gas and burns up the fuel pump which should be located in the fuel tank. I don't think there is a reset for running out of gas.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the fast response. Some of the newer cars have a reset. I had a 97 auto from another maker, that had a reset button that had to be activated to restart the car. This had to do with the warranty. If you ran the car out of fuel, it voided parts of the warranty, so you had to have the dealer or a dealer rep reset it for you so it could be recorded.
As far as the fuel pump in the tank, is it attached to the sending unit as one piece? Or can the pump be replaced seperately?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 05:57 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

I laso agree that it could very well be the fuel pump. It is common for them to fail after the tank has been run very low or empty and then filled. I was told it has to do with the pump getting warm and then the cool gas get put in and it causes them to fail. I also heard that this is the most common time for an electric fuel pump to fail. Beware some of the newer fuel pumps are very quiet and you might not be able to hear it even if it is running. I would turn on the key or have someone else do it while I crawled under the truck for a listen. You will not have to replace the whole tank, just the pump. If you really know this guy and trust that what he is telling you is true (on how the problem started). If the price is right, buy it and you can fix it and sell it if you don't want it.

Royce

------------------
70 Camaro 383ci
69 Camaro 385ci
91 Camaro RS V8 (305 TBI)
Link to my 70

http://profiles.yahoo.com/camaroman7d
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am still waiting to hear what the price is. I did find out that they have already determined it is the fuel pump. The 4x4 part is not working currently due to a bearing problem, or so I'm told. Kelly Blue Book is $4300 in fair condition. I was hoping to get it for around $2-$2500
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech

It could be that running the last quart of fuel (or gunch) of a 12 year old fuel tank clogged the filter, mesh tank filter, or lines. See where/if you have flow from tank to engine. Good luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Not going to touch it until I have it. I would like to get it to pull my 68 to and from the track. The 4x4 would come in handy when I go to CO to hunt. And, I have a wholesale deal with a 4x4/Offroad supplier and I can get way cool stuff cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode