Team Camaro Tech banner

Performance loss

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  popcornchicken 
#1 ·
:help: Hey I've got a 1988 camaro Iroc-z with a 5.0 v8(TPI) 5-speed. I have a problem that has been bugging me for a while now. When I first purchased this car it was very, very fast, it would burn tires while rolling with little acceleration. Back then my idle was 1500 rpm.

Then my tranny broke. Ever since then I have replaced the: TRANNY, STOCK SHIFTER(HAD SHORT SHIFTER) FUEL PUMP, FUEL FILTER, BOSH SPARK PLUGS +2(HAD +4 PLATIMUN), SPARK WIRES, OIL, OIL FILTER, DISTRIBUTOR CAP, ADJUSTED THE THROTTLE, DRAINED AND REPLACED COOLANT, NEW RADIATOR CAP, NEW TOP RADIATOR HOSE, IDLE AIR CONTROL, MAF SENSOR, BATTERY(OLD ONE WAS OPTIMA).

It is no longer as fast as it once was and will not burn tires while rolling. The idle is now at about 700. the car runs like **** before 2000 rpm and lags acceleration but once I pass 2000 rpm while switching through gears it runs smooth and accelerates O.K. Also it sounds like theres is some sort of ticking noise coming from the back of the motor. There was a time where we had the firing order wrong and that lasted a long time, could that have messed something up? Could my problem be timing? I have been told a lot that its my SUPERCHIP causing all this trouble.

It has MSD ignition, ADS superchip, Flow Masters, k & n air filters, 20w-50 oil, k & n oil filter, accel performance 8mm spark wires and bosh platinum 2's(might have burned).

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't understand those +4 plugs, all my buddies with LT1's and 5.0's use them thinking they help, you can't even gap them, i'd get a set of ACDelco's and gap them according to your engine, i may be wrong, someone else should chime in though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.