Oil Leak - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 03, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tski

Guys,
I have a small oil leak seeping from between the head and block on my fresh 302. What can this be from??? I thought it was coolant at first but after pressure checking the cooling system - nothing. Only when I run and it is oil??

See pic

Thanks,
Craig

<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">http://www.wideopenwest.com/~tski/camaros.html</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 03, 02:17 PM
Senior Tech

was the block decked?did u torque the bolts right?were the heads surfaced? i have the same problem in my 89 pickup.because the machine shop that did the block work didn't deck my block.its kinda my fault for telling them to do what they had to get the block right.next time i will be more specific.its really not a problem for me just a hassle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 03, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tski

The deck was trued (almost took my numbers off - the machinist did this out of habit). The heads were trued and I have a new felpro gaskets. The only place I know off oil in this area is through the oil return passages from the top of head - under no pressure! I retorqued the heads after heat cycling a few times. Anybody shed some light or have had this problem in the past? Everybody I know (including myself) says its got to be coolant - but its oil! Aurgh!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tski

Guys,
still need some help. It turned out to be coolant so I removed the head bolts one at a time near the leak area and resealed them. Warmed her up and it started seeping again. I'm afraid if I pull the head gasket and replace it will do the same thing. Any of you builders out there got some advice for me....? Should I remove the head to change the gasket and reseal the head bolts? What steps should I go through to solve this problem? Please help.....this one has got me seriously frustrated. On top of this...my freakin heater core sprung a leak. I pressure check the cooling system...cap was ok so I think it was just a bad luck. Please help again.....
Tski

<a href="
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 03:29 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

What is that plug your arrow is pointing at? or it it a head bolt? If a head bolt what kind of bolts are you using? there are no marks on the head of the bolt which is strange. The pic is so close up it's a little confusing to me . . . what part of the engine is that exactly?

IMO there are a few possibilities IMO.

1st - Make sure that coolant isn't running back from the heater core, thermo housing, rad hose, intake fitting, etc and dripping off your heater hose or running down the block. It could be coming from something simple.

2nd - that plug in the picture looks unusual to me. I am used to seeing a tapered pipe plug used to seal up the holes in the sides of the heads. That looks like a gasketed plug of some type which typically would not seal on the side of a cylinder head. But again, I am a little confused by your picture. If its a head bolt, were the heads angle milled? If so maybe the threads aren't sealed up and the bolt shoulder isn't squared up to the casting.

3rd - if the engine is building up too much pressure it is often from a leaking head gasket.

4th - you mentioned in another post that you had your factory castings CNC ported, you had them checked for cracks and the like, right? A crack in the casting could weep like you are describing.

Sounds like you have a really cool combo going - hope you can get the bugs worked out quickly . . .

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 03:57 AM

Smile

As silly and band-aid repair as this sounds, some shops will drop a small bottle of rad. sealer in the motors they overhaul just to keep stuf like this from happening. I say this b/c some have found out it is no big deal if a little weeping takes place.

It's only when the weeping doesn't stop that they start looking for cracks and such.

And yes, what is the bolt's location?? pdq67

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 04:04 AM
a67

As for the heater core. . . The 5/8" heater hose outlet fitting on the manifold needs to be restricted down to about 1/4". This prevents a high pressure buildup in the core due to the high engine RPM.

I usually press fit a rod into the fitting with a 1/4" hole drilled through it.

Bob.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tski

guys,

Well the bolt head you see in the pic is the 2nd back from front arp head bolt. I have looked for traces of coolant coming from anyother source and could not find anything. The heads where magged and pressure check before porting, but not after. The deck face was cleaned up, not angle milled. I did a compression check and leak down on all cylinders and everything was good. I figured if the porting broke though it would go straight into the intake runner. I pressure checked the cooling system but only to 16 psi. I think the heater core is due to me pulling off the hoses during the engine swap. I would really like to fix the problem without resorting to leak stop. So my game plan looks like this:

-replace and restrict heat core.

-remove cylinder head and inspect. If no visiable signs I am going to have them pressure checked.

-check for flatness on deck surfaces.

Oh my. I was just about to say install new head gaskets and I remembered something. When I was installing the cylinder heads I torqued the wrong head on one side. I took it off and put the other head on without changing the gasket. This is a HP Felpro with print-o-seal. It didn't even occur to me to change the gasket. Doesn't that print-o-seal typically stick rather well and sometimes come off with the head? I wonder if this could be my problem? History...continue...

- replace gaskets!

- check for leaks

Hopefully I don't find anything seriously wrong. Am I forgetting or overlooking anything? Thanks guys for your input. Because of you guys that make me think like this, some things become clearer....hopefully I just screwed up the head gasket somehow.

Thanks again,
Tski

p.s. - Eric, I have decided to go to Dyno Dave's in Taylor. Much closer to me...thanks anyways.

<a href="
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode