11 in. flywheel to 12 in Swap - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

My 68 Camaro had a Saginaw 4 spd with an 11 in clutch in it. I'm swapping in an M-20 and a 12 in. flywheel (I have the larger bell housing as well). What I need to know is if there are any issues I need to be aware of with this swap. I know everything will bolt in the same, but what about the starter? I'm not sure what the 12 in. flywheel came out of, so do I need to be concerned about starter compatibility?

------------------
1976 Type LT Restification (in progress)

1968 2 door sport coupe...wife's car!

The Monday Nite Car Club! (New site)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech

By 12in do you mean clutch size or flywheel outside dia. The only 12clutch Chev ever used was in a big truck and it won't go into a car bellhousing

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

OK...I'm stupid. When I go to look for a clutch for the 68, there's a large and a small...I THOUGHT I knew that one was an 11 in. and one was a 12 in. although the ACTUAL difference between them was less than an inch. Now I've got to go measure what I have to make sure I'm getting the right thing. Now that I think about it, I think I may already have the larger clutch, and the flywheel I'm looking at is a 12 in. out of a truck...and this one will not work?

Someone please steer me the right direction here...I don't want this to be the first major booboo I've made. I've done pretty well so far considering this is my first 1st gen Camaro.

------------------
1976 Type LT Restification (in progress)

1968 2 door sport coupe...wife's car!

The Monday Nite Car Club! (New site)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 04:37 AM
Tech Team
Brad

Here is what i rember: There are two size of flywheels: 12-3/4" (153 tooth) and 14" (168 tooth) and there are also two common clutch diameters 10.4" and 11" Some flywheels are drilled for both clutch patterns.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 05:36 AM
Senior Tech

The only change is the starter snout get one for the large flywheel.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 07:53 AM
Senior Tech

Couple of other things to consider. You need to know if you have a one piece rear main seal or a two. Each seal type requires a different flywheel. Some flywheels are neutral and some are balanced. If your motor is internally balanced you need a neutral flywheel.

Jeff
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 05:35 PM
Senior Tech

Whoa! How's a guy know whether he has an internally balanced engine or not?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 08:05 PM

The 400 is the only externally balanced crank. The flywheel and harmonic balancer for a 400 crank shouldn't be interchanged with other displacments. You might want to check if your 12" clutch flywheel is from a 400 look at the engine side of the flywheel there will be a extra metal that seems out of place on the insside edge of the outer. If that describtion isn't clear then consider what the flywheel would look like if you cut it into six equal pie shaped pieces if they would all look the same it is for a neutrally/internally balanced(non-400) engine.

I would recommend staying with the 11" for two reasons one less spinning weight and two you know it will fit properly.

One more thing you should consdier, if the belhousing you have has the 5 bolt truck pattern for the trans then the hole for the front bearing retainer of the trans is too large for the muncie or saginaw.

Good luck,
Vic
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 04:31 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

The starter braces are different as well between 10.5 and 11". Ask Milan if they are important

-Mark.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech

if your Camaro is stock, it has a 10.4 inch clutch with a small block, and an 11 inch clutch for a big block. in reality, a good 10.4 inch clutch will hold up to a lot of power, and weigh a bit less than an 11 inch clutch. less weight is a good thing, i think.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech

Cool, thanks for the help, folks... My next question is (I prob should have started a new post...) I have a 11" clutch bellhousing... can I use this on my 'no tork at the low end' 327 with the bigger flywheel to help me off the line? Can they even bolt up?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 02:19 PM

Another old trick is to use an 11" flywheel and pressure plate with a 10.5" disk....you will gain inertia (from the wheel and pressure plate) and with the 10.5" disk the trans will shift quicker (and eaiser) compared to an 11" disk.

Food for thought....
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 02, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

The late model 350s are externally balanced too. I put a GMPP flywheel on my ZZ3 crate motor and I noticed that there was a very large counterweight cast into the back of the flywheel.

Seakane, yes, you can use the bigger flywheel/clutch on the 327 if you have the proper bellhousing. However, I wouldn't do it unless you have a problem burning out clutches. The heavier flywheel will take away some of the engine's "revability".

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 11-04-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode