Going back to Qjet from Holley hog... ideas? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Im trying to get back to original on the top of my engine and about to have the cast iron intake 3927184 put back on my 350 along with a restored Qjet 7029202 which would give me some better mileage compared to the 750cfm Holley thats on there now. The Holley also is leaking out the main throttle linkage pivot area, so its time.
Should I forsee any issues in this conversion back? Linkage? Clearance issue with the ducted cold air intake, i.e. height problems?
Im having my mechanic do this project so I dont mess it up, he also is installing new valve guide seals at the same time. We found the oil pressure sending unit is leaking bad so that gets a new one and new copper line to the guage as well.
Id like to hear that this is a pretty simple bolt on conversion. Just once it would be neat to not have complications right? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 06:35 AM

Anytime you go back to stock, you have the advantage of knowing that the factory engineered that application to work. That being said, you will have to change "all" the parts back to factory. If you are using the factory air cleaner with your cowl hood you may need to add a special spacer. Fuel lines may be an issue depending on how origional you want to be. I suggest you get ahold of an assembly manual along with a Classic Camaro catalogue to help your mechanic understand what he has to do to make the car what it once was.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

good point there. For now we are using a single 3/8th rubber fuel line hose, since my Holley uses a single line too. The return line is capped off.
I will change over to the dual line filter and return over the winter months. I hope I dont have to utilize the return line for the Qjet to work properly?

The huge air cleaner assembly fits over the Qjet while its on the bench here. But of course I dont know how it will fit with the Qjet in place until we get to that point next Tue.
I have the assembly manual ready to go with pages marked for him to reference.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Hey, click......

No problem with the lack of return line if using a Qjet, just watch the bowl vent tube for overflowing when starting/running.

The height can be resolved one of two ways -- set both manifolds and carbs side-by-side for height comparison or do the swap and measure with clay with a closed hood, one item at a time.

DO NOT have air clnr stud in place, it'll spoil a good evening with your significant other just thinking of the results.

Did you get your 12-14-to-1.5 vdc convertor for the clock? I can get you plans.........

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 07:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Question

"We found the oil pressure sending unit is leaking bad so that gets a new one and new copper line to the guage as well."

Hey Click;

Do you run a light and a mechanical gauge?

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Nope Ev I decided against the convertor, since Im always undoing my battery with the ground switch I installed. Id have to constantly adjust the clock that way, Im content with just the battery clock, its good for a year and I can change it pretty simply too. So far its right on the money for time too.
Vintage, I just have the console guage for oil pressure now. No light.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 09:41 AM
Kevin

Jim, the factory intake should only need the factory aircleaner spacer. The only issue would be your frame stands and motor mounts (350/300s had special ones). The rubber seal should make up the slack/over. You will need to modify your coil bracket if yours is still on the intake. Factory cars had a special one that leaned back more to clear the lower edge of the cleaner.

Luck, Kevin

Kevin

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Im picking up my intake tomorrow, boiled and glass beaded, ready for orange paint, should I be looking for any special kind of gasket between Qjet and intake? The old intake had a stainless steel extra wide type gasket plus a rubber one under that. Just curious if there are better gaskets to help keep the bowls from getting too hot.
Kevin, I have the coil bracket now, ready to transfer over to the refurbished intake.
The shop only charged me $30 for the intake work, my buddy there even glass beaded neatly inside all the intake holes. Sure hope this all goes together nicely next Tuesday. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 05:21 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Jim be sure to clean the intake well also remove the heat shield on the bottom it will fill up with glass media.The results are not good if not cleaned good.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

thanks plum the guys removed the heat shield panel on the inside and blew it all out too. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 11:58 AM
DTB
Senior Tech

place paper gasket on the intake manifold, then place steel heat shield gasket on top of that, then place the Quadrajet on top of that.

68 RS/SS 350 Convertible<br /><a href="http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/393973/compressedimage1.JPG" target="_blank">http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/393973/compressedimage1.JPG</a>
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 11:59 AM
DTB
Senior Tech

place paper gasket on the intake manifold, then place steel heat shield gasket on top of that, then place the Quadrajet on top of that.

68 RS/SS 350 Convertible<br /><a href="http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/393973/compressedimage1.JPG" target="_blank">http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/393973/compressedimage1.JPG</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode