Gas smell.. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 03, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

I have a 68 RS that i recently purchased and since parking in the garage it emits a strong gas smell. I don't know if it is *suppossed* to do that since I have never owned a car from this era. I originally took off the air cleaner and replaced and thought it might be the gasket between the carb and cleaner seat. The gasket was in sorry shape. That did nothing. It now seems that the lower the fuel in the tank is the less the smell. I figure it is coming from the tank?? There is no trap door in the gas tube like on newer cars so is this just something I get used to or does this sound strange?? The gas cap fits snug and tightens well, but does'nt seem to have a gasket or seal on the underside of the cap. I honestly don't know if there should be. Is there anything else I am overlooking. The car doesn't leak (fuel line).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 12:18 AM

Location: From here it looks like im in front of my computer but if istand on my head...
my 69 had a similar problem. i found that it had a leak on the seam where the two halves of the tank are connected. i had no idea that it was even there until i parked it on a hill with a full tank. oh, and no, you shouldnt be able to smell it. hope this helps
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 03:32 AM

Angry

i had the same problem with my gas tank if i filled it i was getting a bad gas smell noticed it was the seam on the tank. once i changed tank there was no more smell. climb under car and look for wet spots especially on corners on the top side of seams.........

wheelzy 67

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 03, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

thanks, I'll give it a shot...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 03, 06:50 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Ditto on the fuel tank. I have had that problem on more than one first gen Camaro. I have also seen pin hole leaks on the fuel line do the same thing. When the corrosion very first eats through the line the hole can be small enough that the fuel may not yet drip down onto the ground. Eventually the hole gets slightly larger and you'll start seeing the stains. Look the fuel lines over carefully, including the hoses at the fuel pump and tank.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

You didn't say what brand of carb you have, but it could be a leaky Holley in need of a rebuild. See (and smell) it all the time.

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Its a Holley 3310 750cfm. I have no idea how old or if its been rebuilt. It looks like it could use a rebuild, but I don't know how to check [img]smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech

Been there, done that.
Bought my rust free 68 SS 396 for $8K two years ago and drove it straight to the gas station to fill the tank. Got the tank full and drove home, Once I got it into the garage, I smelled the fuel. Looked around and there was a nice drip at the tank that I traced back to the seam. Was kinda embarrassing looking the wife [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img] in the eye while I drained the tank of my new prized possession...a leaky, stinky "muscle car". [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Replaced the tank and the problem was solved. Replace your sender at the same time since you'll have the tank out, and install new anti squeek pads between the tank an floor board, and new strap pads in order to avoid going insane listneing to the maddening squeek that will result if you don't. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to inspect your fuel line back to front to make sure there are no pinches or leaks there.

Tim

Meanchicken
68 SS
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
87 Buick Grand National (does 10's)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Check the intake around the base of the carb. If you have stains, you have fuel leaks. Worst case, the bowl gaskets actually drip fuel onto the intake. Very easy to fix.

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 03, 09:10 PM
Senior Tech

i've also seen fuel percolation force fuel out of the squirter nozzles into the butterfly area,as well as a stuck needle and seat assembly.it doesn't take a very big piece of debris to cause this either.remove the air cleaner after running the engine to warmed up status and waiting 5 mins. or so,if the throttle body and butterflies are wet suspect one of these.
good luck!
Eric

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode