Help with what kind of engine to go with? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 03, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Eighty8Iroc-Z
I just bought an 88' Iroc-Z and that same night the engine started knocking pretty bad. I took it to TPS because a friend of mine works there and they said that the problem was "terminal" and they didn't reccomend rebuilding the engine, which i think is BS, but anyway, i'm overwhelmed by decisions i'm having to consider and I hope you guys can help me out because im sure you've already been through it.

Should I rebuild my engine to a 383 stroker ? if so, whats involved and how much money am i looking at? new computer?

Or should I buy a rebuild 350TPI off the web which comes with a 7yr 70,000mi warranty for about 1300$

Or should I have my engine rebuild locally?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for you time guys.

just found something in my travels across the vast wasteland i refer to as the www, thought it might be interesting to more people than me, tell me what u think.

http://www.mp-auto.com/products.htm#7

seems that they're selling a 406HP SBC Short Block for a little over a grand.

Also i ran across another engine, 450hp 383 short block SBC for a very decent price of $1400.

http://speedomotive.com/450%20H.P.%2...%20WARRIOR.htm

anyway, what im thinking is i'll buy the short block and put my old heads on it for the time being so i can build on it later. someone please let me know if im being a complete idiot.

Thanks,
Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 03:20 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I'm not a big fan of internet crate engines. Lots of problems posted here on the this site . . . try doing a search for "crate engine" here or in the performance section.

I personally would look to get your block rebuilt locally (if the block is OK) that way you have some recourse if it doesn't go well. I'm not sure what your budget or performance goals are so its hard to give specific advice, but based on the engines you are already looking at it sounds like you need to keep the cost low.

If you need to keep the cost low maybe a Goodwrench 350 short block would suite your needs, if you get one local from a dealer at least there is a warranty that is worth more than the paper its written on. If your current block is OK and you can spend a little more a stroker kit would be nice, just deal with a reputable local machine shop.

Your current computer would probably be OK with a 383 as long as you keep the combo mild. The only down side is that the higher RPMs will be limited because the early TPI intake manifolds were originally designed for the 305 which makes them a little small for a 350, even smaller for a 383. A good upgrade later on would be an aftermarket intake a maybe larger injectors - but I'm not a FI guru.

Just my opinion.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 03, 09:02 AM

Angry

i'd agree, if it hasnt "let go" yet chances are good you can rebuild fairly cheaply back to stock..nothing like a rocking motor but reliability is still good too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode