High volume oil pump - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

I just finished installing a rebuilt 350 in my 67. New AFR 195 heads, new rings and bearings, the complete nine yards.
I'm useing a qt. of oil every 200 miles. On cold startup I get a blue cloud of smoke and also at times when I go through the gears. All cylinders are reading 165 to 170 psi, and a leakdown test indicates nothing abnormal. The problem would indicate bad valve guide seals but the heads are new. I used a high volume oil pump, could this be my problem? All my plugs are running sooty black.
Any help would be appreciated.
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I'm running a hi volume pump and I dont use oil. Many here will tell you you dont need it. The blue smoke would indicate a valve guide issue. And the black sooty plugs tell me its running rich. This rich condition could be washing the oil off the cylinder walls because of too much fuel and preventing correct ring seat to the freshly honed bores. How did the break in of the motor go? Did the tempratures come up? did it get hot? Are you running a thermostat in the motor? What kind of rings were used?

------------------
Black 69 camaro

[This message has been edited by HOTROD69CAMARO (edited 11-01-2002).]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech

Any chance the PVC is sucking oil out of the valve cover and burning it? After market valve covers often don't have baffles in them and your HV pump could be creating a lot of mist that's getting sucked right into the intake.

-dnult

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
I am missing the baffle for the pvc side valve cover, and there is a lot of oil drip on the valve cover cap. I'll have to find the problem by elimination.The baffle seems like the easiest place to start.
Brian
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 04:01 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I vote for an internal intake manifold leak at the ports. Just a thought.

-Mark.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 02:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

A good topic. You may have several bugs to work out. On my setup, even with one of the moroso 'baffled' pcv grommets, I was sucking oil into the motor. For me, at this point, I eliminated the pcv and am using a breather on each cover. If your guides/seals were the culprit, I would think the leakdown test would have shown it by hearing the leakage from there.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,Autogear M22,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech

Brian, I'm thinking your non baffled valve covers are a problem. If you are using roller rockers it's easy to install a home made plate accross two rockers and bolt the plate to the threads above the set screw in the rockers. I just used a flat piece of alum about 2" by 3" on each side had to monkey a bit and trim a bit to get the covers to fit over the plates but seems to work. You have a pvc valve on one side, if you don't have one now put a breather in on the other side where your filler cap is. Unless your intake has the filler tube in it then run a breathe on it and install a breather and/or pvc in the other valve cover. Your black sooty plugs sounds like rich fuel mixture like hotrod69camaro has stated. Good luck - Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode