engine swap from v-6 to v-8 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 04, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

I have two camaros a 78 lt with a 305 and an 87 2.8. my question is can I swap the 2.8 for the 305 easily. The 2.8 is multi-port EFI. the 305 has absolutely mo coputor controls to my knowlege. I know that the 200 4r tranny that is in the 2.8 can handle the torque from the 305 if necessary as long as I keep the hp minimal. I also have a 700 r-4 if need be. Is there a difference in the leangth of the drive shaft?
Is the car structurally sound to handle ho of say 350-400 horse, or will i need a roll-cage? Are block mounts going to be a problem? what do I do about the EFI is anything attatched to the ignition that ishould worry about? I know the 78 is worth the time and money but I like the look and feel of the 87 more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 04, 02:07 AM

First, not trying to run you off but you might get better answers over at Second Generation Camaro Owners Group.

Second, are you sure the 200 behind the little motor has the same bellhousing pattern as the 305??

Driveshaft thing shouldn't matter b/c the trannies should be in the same place with the correct frame and rubber mounts installed for each motor.

Anybody else here.

You also SHOULD check the smog police b/c you will need to run the latter cars smog stuff on the older motor?? In other words pass a visual smog check if you don't have an I/M Program to go through upon licensing time like we do here in Central Missouri.

The St. Louis NonattaINMENT aREA HAS TO GO THROUGH BOTH A VISUAL and A 240 dYNO TRIAL SO IT IS CRITICAL OVER THERE!!!! Darn caps again....

pdq67

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 04, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

our emissions here is lax so no smog pump is necessary. A mechanic at gm told me that the this year came stock with v-6, 305, and ho 350. the 305 appearently had a few tranny pkgs. One being 200 4r I would think that it would fit. even if it doesn't I'm still swapping to the 700r4. what i was really wondering would be how to kill the computors so i can run the 305.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 04, 07:21 AM
a67

In order to put the 305 into the '87 several items need changing. The current '87 trans will not bolt up to the V8, need to get a '82 - '92 700R4 from a Camaro or Firebird. There is a torque arm mount on the transmission.

The frame mounts need to be changed for V8 ones.

The brake line that goes across the K-member needs to be re-located, else the frame mounts will crush it.

If the '87 has a tach that needs changing to a V8 unit.

The current driveshaft is the correct length, no differnce between V6 & V8 there.

W/O the ECM another method of TCC lockup will be required. Too many options to list here. Unless of course a stick tranny is used instead.

Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode