Can't trust anyones work... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 04, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

My friends thought I was nuts for taking my perfectly running motor apart for inspection. I guess it would seem crazy when it sounded good and had 60 psi oil pressure. I am glad I did now.

Pulled all of the pistons and examined the crank to see on 2 rod journals that there were some decent size nicks. Looks like the guy didn't use covers over the bolts when he installed the pistons. The bearings had some definite wear spots from the imperfections. Not to brass, but irregular to say in the least. This motor had minimal run time only, maybe an hour. Looks like a regrind and new bearings.

Also, he replaced all but 3 valves. I can't figure that out as if those were the best three I would hate to see the others.

Oh well, it's just money.

1968 SS 350 Camaro, 4-speed, California car, restoration complete. Brought back to life after almost 27 years of silence!

Built: 3rd week of July, 1968
Silenced: 12/12/1978
Resurrected: 05/01/2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 04:22 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Good catch! Quality machine work is so hard to find.

Just curious, if it was running fine and had good pressure, what made you suspect something was wrong and pull it down?

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Well, little things like orange paint overspray on the valve springs. Also he did not know what camshaft was put in it. This just made me question how much time was put into assembling the motor.

Plus I am an ex-racer thanks, in large part, to an inadequate engine builder. I just have a hard time trusting the work of other unless I know them.

1968 SS 350 Camaro, 4-speed, California car, restoration complete. Brought back to life after almost 27 years of silence!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech

just curious, what engine is it that you have in your camaro?

'69 SS 350 Camaro (true X55)<br />350 turbo with shift kit<br />3.55 posi rear end<br />favorite Bible verse...all of 'em!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 01:29 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

You are not crazy. Every hobby car I've bought over the last 27 years I've either torn down and rebuilt or replaced the motor with one I've assembled myself. I had a bad experience with my 74 Z/28 when I was 18, trusting a local machine shop to rebuild and assemble the motor. Within 300 miles the same rod bearing spun. Since I was a kid they weren't going to warrant it. Eventually I got them to do the machine work over and I assembled it. The motor went through hell as the next two kids that owned it abused the car every chance they got. I must have done something right because it stayed together. I've been turning wrenches on aircraft since I was in high school for a living and today I won't let anyone do anything on my cars unless there is no way for me to do it myself. On the larger jets it is rare to see poor maintenance, but on the small private aircraft it's often like anything goes as pilots try to do their own maintenance and I use the term maintenance loosely for what they ususally end up doing. I've just seen way too many unqualified people passing themselves off as machinists or mechanics. There are many many good ones out there, but it only takes getting one of the guys that's in over his head to work on your car once and you learn. I could tell you stories that would just leave you shaking your head from what I've found in some of these engines over the years. Problem is some enthusiasts that have very little mechanical background or skill will try to do it themselves and lack the proper tools and skills required. They can get it put together but to quote Captain Kirk "For how long, for HOW long?"

Websites like these are very valuable to help people aquire the knowledge they need to do it right. There is a lot of years of knowledge and blood and sweat right here on this site and the guys are very anxious to share their experiences with those just learning.

Mr. Goodwrench looked at my sons Beretta, it had an oil leak. They tore into it and determined it needed intake gaskets replaced to the tune of $500. I said put it back together. I paid them the $30 I owed them then brought it home and replaced the brittle and split oil pump drive o-ring for 25 cents. Problem solved.

A pilot friend of mine was having his Nissan sports car engine rebuilt. He went 2 hours to Detroit because the machinist there was supposedly a reputable guy. His engine didn't make 500 miles and the crank came apart. While they were machining it a second time he asked me if I though he should do the heads. I said bring them to me and I'll look at them. They were full and I mean full of steel shot. He asked me how could this have happened and I said talk to your machinst. Turns out after machining the heads the machinist set them next to his shot peen machine and they sat there a couple of days without being bagged up! What kind of machinist would not bag up a set of fresh heads? I don't know any of my fellow hobbyists who wouldn't at least oil them down and put them in bags until they're ready to use.

You just don't know who you can trust. If you have the tools and are armed with the proper service manuals do it yourself if you know how.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

camp07 - It is the original 350 that I am putting back in the car. That is what makes it almost worse. I am going to take extra care to do it right, even if it costs more to do it. I do not want to take chances with this motor!

SY1 - I could not have said it better myself. This site is a life saver! My car is in my back shop. Whenever I am stumped on something I run up here, punch some keys, and there is my answer....AWESOME!

I know what you mean on builders. I bought a "?NEW?" nitrous kit from an engine builder that assembled my race motor. Well, the kit wasn't new. It looked new but it was really a cobbled up piece of crap. Result?? Knocked the bearings out of the bottom end in an instant. I tried to to tune that thing and just could not! Ended up sending it to the manufacturer and they let me in on WHY I couldn't tune it. You really have to be careful

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech

cool...i got my original 350 in my 69 ss camaro...gotta love the 350!

'69 SS 350 Camaro (true X55)<br />350 turbo with shift kit<br />3.55 posi rear end<br />favorite Bible verse...all of 'em!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech

i am doing the same thing right now...rebuiding my engine. I'm glad to have a trusted engine guy to do it too, b/c i am like you...i want it done right!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 03:51 PM
Senior Tech

hey 68SSCamaroinKS...tell me if i am right...when you have an engine like ours rebuilt, they are practically brand new right? My 350 has stock bore and crank journals with just 92k miles on it, and it still runs pretty strong...we are rebuilding it because it is like most a tired engine. But back to my question...when u rebuild an engine like mine, it is pretty much like new, right?

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech

technically, when you rebuild any engine- be it a 350 Chevy or a 5 horse Briggs off a 30 year old push lawn mower or even a {gasp} late model import DOHC 4 popper- it should be as good as or better than new when it is all said and done.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 07:37 PM
Senior Tech

ok that is what i thought...thanks for the response!! -Max

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech

oya i like the "gasp" when you mention one of them 4 banger imports! Stupid rice burner! We would wup up on them with our muscle!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 08:18 PM

I believe that from your pen name you live in Kansas? I know a very consciousness and thorough high performance mechanic in Wichita. They are hard to find but are out there. Will treat your stuff with care and respect.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

ss dave - I sent you an email. I would like to know who you might be able to recommend for engine work. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode