low oil pressure, but plenty of oil... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 04, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
JTM

not sure if its just my guage, but it hangs @ around 20lbs of pressure. and drops slowly as the engine warms up. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 04, 09:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Question

"Drops slowly" to what

If you are relying on the electric gauge I would install a mechanical right on the engine and see if it reads the same or different.
Hard to say what it could be at this stage.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 04, 10:35 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I wouldn't sweat it if you are talking about pressure at idle until you start getting down below 10-15 lbs.

The old thumb rule of 10 psi per 1000 RPM is a good reference point. As long as pressure comes back up with the revs you should be fine.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 04, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
JTM

it goes up with revs, but i dont think it is even above 10psi @ any time when the engine is warm. also, on my pontiac 350 there is a plug in the head on the right side in tyhe front, it has 2 prongs.. i think its a temp sensor, and my temp guage doesnt work.. am i right in assuming whatit is? and how do i hook it back up?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 04, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

If it's under 10 lbs. at idle, you have issues to deal with.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 04, 07:28 PM
David Pozzi

If it goes completely out of pressure, the hyd lifters will start to clatter, that is a sure sign of oil pressure loss.
Put a mechanical gage on it and see what it is. I know on BB chevys, the oil pump pickup can fall out and the oil pressure drops!
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 04, 07:57 PM

My old Camaro used to run around 10 lbs and go up and down with engine speed. Tore it down and found that the oil pump bolts were not tight and it was leaking back into the pan.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 04, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
JTM

even if my valaves or lifters were making noise, i coudltn hear them.. i also have an exhuast leak.. i think its a gasket @ the manifold.. is it possible i have a hole in my head cuasing a leak as well? i put my finger down near the noise and i feel the hot air... it sounds alot like i am missing a spark plug, but i assure you they r all there.. and tight. thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 04, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
JTM

can any of you suggest a good repair manual? ive always steered clear of haynes and chiltons, in favor of the more detailed manuals, but maybe in this case those r the right books?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 04, 05:47 AM

Get a Helms Manual for your car. That is what the technicians use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode