MINI-SPOOLS - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 00, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone have any experience with mini spools? A buddy of mine put one in his open face truck and he loves it. He says the rear tires will bark every once in a while in sharp turns, but traction is very impressive with his ZZ4 motor and 4.11 gears.

I am running a 450 hp 383 and add 150 horse with nitrous. Will an open face 8.2 with a mini spool stand up to this motor?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 00, 07:48 AM
Senior Tech

A mini spool transfers all the power from the driveline, through a pin in the spool. Not the best for anything with power. A full spool will handle the power tranfer much better.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 00, 07:59 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
mini spools are for dirt track(tires slip).a mini or full spool really shouldn't be used on the street(twisted axel shafts)if you want a posi rear get a limited slip or a locker.it will handle the street much better with all the turns and all.

------------------
My68Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

[This message has been edited by DOUG G (edited 11-21-2000).]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 00, 02:19 AM
Senior Tech

I have run full spools on the street for the last 8 years. IMHO, they have many advantages over a posi. Yes, you would have to listen to a little tire chatter when cornering and tire pressure needs to be the same in both tires to avoid vibration, but thats about all. Now, I do not have a stock rear by any means, so that might be the difference. I run a 9" with 33 spline Strange axles, Strange full spool and 4.11 gears.

On the track or on the street, the rear ALWAYS seems to do the same thing. If you have tire spins, the rear will kick out a bit (like a posi) each and everytime.

To me, that is a bonus.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 00, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Mini spools are not safe on the street. A few of my customers have had me install them in their cars and almost all of them have broken something. Most broke a axle, but one broke ALL of the studs off of a Moser axle. Unless you want to hurt yourself or someone else, don't run one on the street!

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 00, 07:41 AM
Tech Team

I to have run mini spools on the street but not in a 8.2 I think you need to sell that axle to some without horsepower and install a 9 inch ford (mini spool is only about $35.00 ) you can then get a pumpkin out of a ford pickup with 4.11 s for about $75.00 atleast around hear and have a great set up . your 8.2 is not to strong and to do it right you need to install c clip eliminators axles and the spool of your chose 12 bolts are to much money to modify to to the same problems as above I have about $1200 in mine and did the work my self another strong cheap axle is the 8.75 mopile axle what is great about these are they dont use c clips to retain the axles cheap in junk yard and you can set up 2 pumpkins one with open carrier 3.00 gears the other with 4.56 and your mini spool and change from weekend warrior to family car in a hour or two if you cant narrow one your self there are lots of guys around that will do it for $75-85 to me with the nuts your car has I would step up this winter do it once instead of twice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode