Stalling problem with new 67, ideas? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 03, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

I just bought my camaro on the 26th of Sep. I drove it around the block and stopped/started it several times with no problems (fired right up every time). I just got back into town yesterday and now I'm having a hard time keeping it from dying. I have to keep revving it otherwise it will bog down and die. I tried adjusting the idle, that got me out of the drive way but it died just up the street. I'm going to get new plugs (autolite 26) and gap them to 45. I hope that fixes the problem. Any other things I should look for? 355, dart heads, 750 holley, rpm intake and cam. Thanks for any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 03, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech

What is your initial timing set at? Idle speed? Does it seem to be running real rich at idle?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 03, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure what the timing is set at yet. This is my first classic car and I have very little mechanical experience. Tomorrow will actually be the first time I've ever even changed a spark plug. Never had anyone around that knew how to work on cars so I'm going to teach myself with the help of this board of course. I'll try to find out what the timing is set at tomorrow morning. The last thing I tried to do was turn the idle adjustment screw 180 degrees from where it was. I believe I'm supposed to do this while the car is running though and that proved almost impossible by myself because by the time I got the air cleaner off, it would start to sputter and die.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 03, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech

remove the air cleaner after running it for a bit.if the inside of the main body around the butterflies is wet,pull the needle/seat assemblies on top of the float bowls and check for debris.if there is any(might be tiny)blow it out.either with compressed air or good old lung power.also check the air bleeds by pressing a finger down over each oneif the engine bogs they're ok,if not get a can of carb cleaner with the jet nozzle and give the plugged one(s)a quick shot.
just a few possibilities that are quick to check.
good luck!
Eric

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 03, 04:37 PM
David Pozzi

check that the choke is not closed.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 03, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

I think Eric is on the right track. It sounds like you have a sticking float, probably due to some trash or debris, or, maybe the carb is a bit gummy if the car had been sitting alot. If you have a sticking float, sometimes you can give the carb a good thump ( rubber hammer or something stiff ) and that will free it. It is is trash holding it open, follow Eric's suggestions. You still may need to ultimately clean the carb. One other thought is what kind of fuel pump and are you running with a fuel regulator. If you are using a performance fuel pump, you may be running with too much pressure which can also induce flooding...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 03, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I will give those ideas a shot when I get back. I'm deployed again right now but I picked up some autolite 26 plugs right before I left so I'm also going to throw those in when I get back next week. Appreciate your replies.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 03, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Send a message via AIM to jg95z28
Its probably the choke.

Mine was doing that when I first got it. The choke is bad and the 2-bbl needs a rebuild. I was able to flip the cam gear on the the trottle-side to keep it from dying at the light. However I'm getting ready to swap the 2-bbl for a rebuilt 4-bbl and intake anyway. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

'67 RS Coupe - Gold on Gold, 327/210, PG and mostly original
'67 Plain Jane Coupe - Penske Blue, Z/28 stripes, 350HO & Tremec TKO500
'95 Z28 Coupe - Dead stock (seriously)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 03, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jg95z28:
Its probably the choke.

Mine was doing that when I first got it. The choke is bad and the 2-bbl needs a rebuild. I was able to flip the cam gear on the the trottle-side to keep it from dying at the light. However I'm getting ready to swap the 2-bbl for a rebuilt 4-bbl and intake anyway. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
The choke is easy to verify....when it's cold, pump it one time, it should close, after running for about 5 minutes, and after you depress the gas at least once to release the choke, it should be fully open.

Also, if it exhibits the symptoms that Eric mentions and there is no trash, it could also be a bad float or needle & seat, although whenever that happened to me (float), you could see the fuel running out of the carb.

You mentioned adjusting the idle....was that the idle mixture or idle speed? If you've messed w/ the idle mixture and aren't sure if you went too far in or out, you can get it "close ennough" by turning each screw in completely (for a reference) and then backing it out 3 full turns. At least that works well on Rodchesters, Edelbrock, and Carter AFBs.

I'm don't know a lot about Holleys, but plenty of folks here do. Couldn't he have a blown power valve guys?

Good luck, and w/ the help of this board, you will develop your tech skills. Trouble shooting is the hardest. Parts swapping is much easier and that makes for a good start. That's how we all learn.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 03, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Well I changed out my plugs today and gapped them to 45. That resulted in no real change other than an increase in white smoke from the exhaust. I think I'm going to back them down to 40 tomorrow. I took the air cleaner off and stuck a pen style flashlight down inside the bowls. I noticed quite a bit of some black particles along with what looked like surface rust on the butterflies? I bought some carb cleaner and shot at the debris pretty good. It got rid of most of it but I didn't know if I should open up the butterflies and shoot some more or not. I don't want to make my problem worse. Should I pull the carb off the car and spray the crap out of it with carb cleaner and see what happens? It was running perfect until I let it sit for about 10 days. Another question I have is, do I have to adjust both "idle adjustment needles" or can I just adjust the driver's side? Oh yeah, I found out my carb is a 650 model (4777) not 750 like I thought.

[ 10-15-2003, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Guambomb ]
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 03, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Have you checked the fuel filter?? [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] If it aint gettin fuel it aint gonna run. I restored a 67 Nova SS awhile back and didnt clean the gas tank, Plugged 4 fuel filters in 100 miles. When they plugged all it wanted to do was idle.

Dave
69 Big Block / Hugger Orange Sold
65 Chevelle SS
Black 2010 Electra Glide Classic
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 03, 12:23 AM
DL
Senior Tech
David

I also had the same problem with my '67. It drove well, but I had to touch the pedal a bit to keep the revs higher when stopped otherwise it just went dead.

The problem with my car is that a small (vacuum-?)hose had came loose. (I thought it ran from the aircleaner to the intake) I put it back on, and it ran great.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sorry that I cannot me more specific on which hose, but I am not used to see V8 engines in Europe so it is tough for me to remember the details of my own engine [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] )

David
'67 Camaro crossram
'67 Camaro convertible SS/RS clone project
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 03, 06:24 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

I agree with David, check to make sure you don't have a vacuum leak. A small vacuum leak will cause idle problems. Does it run if you stay on the gas (meaning above idle)? Did it backfire at all when/before this problem started? Sometime that will blow off a vacuum line, you may also want to check your power valve. If it runs good when the pedal is mashed I think you can eliminate a filter or choke problem.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 03, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Yep, it runs good if I keep my foot slightly on the pedal. It revs real good too but as soon as I take my foot off the pedal it starts to slowly sputter and die. I'll check all vacuum hoses too. Thanks.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 03, 10:14 PM
DL
Senior Tech
David

Camaroman7d, there is also another explanation for a vacuumhose comming loose.
Removing your airfilter, and NOT PUTTING EVERYTHING BACK ON CORRECTLY [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] like I did. I probably put the hose on too loose, and due to the 'excessive' and very aggressive acceleration of my 140hp 305ci 2bbl [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] it must have jumped off.

David
'67 Camaro crossram
'67 Camaro convertible SS/RS clone project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode