5spd slave cylinder - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

Question

I'm looking for some info on slave cylinder installations. Anyone else here installed one of these in a first gen? Anybody know of brackets that will mount the hydraulic slave cylinder? If not, I'm going to have to fabricate something that bolts to the brake booster mount. Here's the reason why -

I have a 69 with a T5 installed - the previous owner of the car performed this installation. As I've recently posted, the bolt holes in the firewall for the slave cylinder are close to the fuse block and the hole that the speedo cable go through. This has resulted in two cracks and a bending of that section of the firewall. The more I look at this, I think this was inevitable as the metal here is thin and the distance to other holes in the firewall is short. This is already an ugly situation as I'm not a welder and this is my daily driver.

Marty

------------------
Marty

69 Camaro, 350, TrickFlow heads, T5, 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 05:22 PM
Team Member

July 1995 Car Craft has some info on a T56 Swap. Using '95 LT1 Camaro components (Complete Assembly P/N 12559912) and a bracket that bolts to the 4 bolts for the master Cyl.
The bracket was from West Coast Connection 1338 Sugar Bear Ln, Santa Rosa, Ca. 95407-7150 707-546-9714.

It looks like it will do the job for you. Good luck.

TTFN
Mat
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech

Don't know if you can use the 4th gen cylinder. I think it is internally different for a T-56 transmission. I had to swap my T-5 cylinder out with a 4th gen one, when I went to my T-56. They bolt up exactly the same though. If you can get your hands on the bracket that Mat spoke of, you could them use a 3rd gen cyclinder.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 09:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

One additional option is to run a McLeod hydraulic t/o bearing; eliminates all the slave cylinder, brackets, clutch fork, etc. It's pricy, about $300 or more as I remember, but if you have to replace brackets, slave cyl., etc. it may not be much more expensive. It's self-adjusting also after the initial set-up.

Jody
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

Talking

Thanks Mat. I'll try to give them a call tommorrow. The next question is what to do about the cracks in the firewall. Any thoughts on this?

Marty
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

Angry

Mat,

Tried calling West Coast today - the number was no longer good. Any one else got a contact for a bracket for T5 master cylinder?

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode