291 camel humps - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

i recently bought a '68 327 motor with 291 camel humps on it for 200 bucks. my question is, are these heads worth rebuilding, or should i just sell them off and buy some aftermarket ones? also, is there any way to put these heads on a motor with all power accessories, since there are no accessory holes? thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 03:52 PM

Smile

Are they big valved or medium valved??

They are good heads for way back then and do very well stock on a 327, imho..

But for the price it costs to bring them up to a modern heads spec., it may be worth it to sell them and buy new aftermarket ones that already have screw-in studs and hardened seats and such..

I probably would run them by first pinning the studs using 1/8" x 1" long roll pins and then adding about a half a bottle of good old Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas tank and put the rest in the oil every so often.

MMO is an excellent top-oil that is made for this. It isn't a lead substitute but rather a top-oil to help the valves and guides and such, even the rings..

pdq67

PS., and a set of cheap, $25 or so, stock number -142, Z-28 springs..

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 03:56 PM

I have a set (of 291's) that I just had reworked, but don't know if I would do it again. Probably could have gotten some decent aluminum ones for not too much more than my machine work, purchase price, shipping, etc. Are you planning on putting it in your 69? I am doing a similar installation, with a 68 motor in a 69, but if you are going for accuracy, it isn't really the way to go. The lack of accessory holes gives it a whole different look and layout from what the 69's came with originally- alternator is on opposite side, etc. Mine is a driver, so I'm not being a stickler. I kept the old heads and had seats done (whether this is necessary is a controversial topic, as other posts have covered)-I had a machine shop later advise me that if I ran a lead additive for the first thousand miles after the valve job, to let things settle in, I could have avoided the hardened seats altogether. Not sure who to believe. In any case, I am finding that there is a reason that people like the accessory holes. All the aftermarket stuff comes with them, for one thing. Are you going for horsepower, or authenticity, or a hybrid?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 04:00 PM

If you do sell, the heads should fetch $150-200, at least. What block did you get? Passenger, Camaro, Corvette?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

block # is 3914660, not sure what that means though.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 05:08 PM
Guess

It means it's a 1968 327ci block.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode