Starter w/ Scattersheild - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 03, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

I'm getting ready to fit everything together for my scatter sheild, transmission, clutch, ect. before I put it into the car. Something tells me that my stock starter isn't gonna work. Am I right about that? If so, what is the best, cost effective starter I should use? It's going in a 69 smallblock with a M-20 and a Lakewood scatter sheild with the backing plate.

Thanks,
Dan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 03, 01:39 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

The mini starters are nice, but if your scatter shield is a lakewood the stock starter will fit. If you are using a block plate trial fit it with the starter first to make sure. I've installed a couple of these in the past and haven't encountered any problems with the starter. Everything else was a pain in the a$$, but not the starter. You may also want to use a dial indicator to make sure the transmission is properly centered too. Some of the small block chevy dowels are too short to go through both the block plate and the bell housing, so you might have to use either the longer lakewood dowels or the adjustable dowels if things aren't lined up. No point in tearing everything back out if you have a vibration or the transmission keeps poping out of gear.
Jim
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 03, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Jim,thanks for the reply. I just bought a new dial indicator and magnetic stand to do the alignment. The Centerforce clutch I bought recommends the sheild be checked, it even gives instructions. I also have an article in CHP that tells how to do it. I'll be working on doing it this week. GLAD to hear that the starter will work!!!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Dan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode