where does the vacuum line for the choke go? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 04, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
JTM

on an 86 350. rochester quadrajet? its in my 72 firebird but i cant seem to find any open vacuum ports. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 04, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Does this Q-Jet have a throttle position sensor?

If it's the truck Q-Jet, I assume you are talking about the rear vacuum break that opens the choke plate when the engine gets running. If it is indeed that, then it plugs into the port that is at the rear of the carb next to the power brake vacuum fitting. It's in the baseplate, I believe.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 04, 08:01 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I'm back. Out of curiousity, what the number of that carb, and what rods and jets does it have?

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 04, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
JTM

52179 is on th etop part and 52062 is on the baseplate, there is plugged line right next to the break booster line. ill hook it together and see what happens, it was plugged with a short piece of line and a golf tee. also now when i try to start my car it sound slike my engin eis dragging, like barely able to move the cylinders, yet i am able to move the crank pulley with my arms. does this mean my engine is messed up? its done it once before but started in a few seco9nds later. now it wont even turn over.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 04, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
JTM

also, the nipple on the choke is twice as big as th enipple on the rear baseplate on the carb, do i need aspecial hose? kuz no way in heck woul di be able to strecth a line over that... otherwise id need some sort of clamp and use a larger hose...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 04, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
JTM

oh, and the carb has absolutly no elctrical hookups, the only electric in the whole engine is the HEI distributor, starter and alt.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 04, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech

if you are talking about the line that comes off the round canister on the passenger side of the carb, then that gets hooked to a hardline that has exhaust from the intake manifold run thru it.
there are 2 hard lines that need to be hooked up- one that goes from that nipple to the heat crossover, and one that comes out of the crossover right next to that one that goes to the a nipple on the back of the carb, right under the air cleaner flange.
there is vacuum from inside the carb that pulls the filtered air it gets from the back of the carb thru the heat crossover, which is then heated and pulled thru the choke coil into the carb. this heats up the coil and opens the choke as much as it needs. this is the best choke setup ever devised, and i would definitely try to get it working right. it's way better than a silly electric choke setup.
if you don't have any fittings coming out of the intake for that, you can get an electric choke coil for a newer car or truck and put it into the hot air choke housing. just plug the vacuum nipple on the housing and the fitting on the back of the carb, hook up a switched 12 volt power source to it, and you have an electric choke.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 04, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
JTM

i dont see any hardlines anywhere near the carb. by hardline im assuming u mean the hard metal lines... ill check my intake again, but i dont think there was any lines or nipples on it either.. although it is a stock intake.. ill check tomarrow when it gets light out.. thanks again [img]smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 4th, 04, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
JTM

is it correct to hook the choke up to the EGR valve?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 4th, 04, 11:51 PM
Senior Tech

nope

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 04, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
JTM

got an electric choke, problem solved... [img]smile.gif[/img] now on to the timing, i found out that my centrifical advance is not working.. need to pull the ditributor and get it moving again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode