69 Smog pump identification - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 03, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

I have a smog pump assy that I removed from a 69 convert. What #'s are normally on one, where and what do they indicate? Also how is valve mounted to it coded if it is?
Thanks
Al B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 03, 01:26 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

There are casting numbers on the back plate that end in "149" but this casting is common to other makes/models/years. There is a date code stamped into it where the first digit is the plant code, then a julian day of the year, then the last digit of the year "9", then a digit for the shift it was built on, then a letter for the model of the pump.

The 3rd from last digit is the year and all the digits before that are the day of the year except for the very first one that is plant code. What I am trying to say is that the early in the year julian dates can have zeros in front or might not depending on the whim of the guy stamping them.

The Diverter valves have the last few digits of the part number stamped into them near the bolting flange that can be hard to see. The casting number on the nozzles are easy to see but don't mean anything to us resto guys [img]smile.gif[/img]

The valve is mounted to the pump by a cast aluminum elbow with "533" as the last 3 digits.

The pulley is stamped "116" for the base engines. SHP engines get deep groove pulleys.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 03, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Actually the pump casting number is 7801149 on the back cast plate. There is also a cast Julian date on the back plate, Very small hard to read. As stingr 69 mentioned there is a date on the little half moon pad . The way to read these are as follows- Example 06491S , which translates to 064th day, 9 means 1969, and the 1 means chevrolet division and the S is Saginaw Michigan. The first 3 numbers are the Julian day date and the 4th number is the year, the 5 number is the model division number and the last letter is the plant where the pump was built. The pump housing also has a cast date under the front plastic fan ( which should be white in 69 ) so you can tell if the pump is a restamp or not. Diverter valve numbers are 7029295 for Small blocks and 7029297 for 396/427. Anti backfire valves are 5361992 and the diverter extension is 3942533. The extension also has a little tiangle with the word Atlas in the triangle. There is also a single number after the atlas insignia which also designates the year the extension was cast, a 9 should appear on a 69 system unless it is a Dec or earlier car. Hope this helps. The left side air hose is a ribbed hose with the ink lettering 3932476 GM RC KV on it. Rite side hose has 3932478 on it. Hope this helps.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 04:44 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

rszmjt,
If the second to the last digit is a 2 would that indicate Pontiac or? Also I've run across a couple of pumps with the last digit R instead of S. Would that be Rochester?
Thanks,
Doug

1969 Van Nuys RS Z/28. Protect-o-plate and chassis broadcast copy. Hugger Orange, original 711 interior, including carpet. Original drivetrain: DZ, M-20, 3:73 BO code peg leg. Flat hood, no spoilers.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Hello Doug, All the pumps i have seen off Pontiacs or Oldsmobile have the 2 designation. Nor sure about the R .

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I think the standard production base V8 diverter valve was "29291" while the Z/28 had the "29295" valve. "29297" were used on the SS big blocks. Yours is probably the "291" I guess. The last 2 digits are probably shift and plant. I don't know what I was typing earlier [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

-Mark.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 08:45 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Close, the base diverter valve was 7029293 which fit 307 & 327 engines, the 7029295 was for Z28 and 350 engines. I have supplied and restored approx. 50 systems over the last 15 years and all the chevrolet stuff had the 1 before the S, and the pontiac, Olds and Buick stuff had the 2 designation. Have also seen the letter Z after the 1. Bill Hodel or John Greenhoe would probably know for sure? ( They are the 2 smog Guru's in the US.)

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 02:26 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I got my base engine smog valve number out of the factory assembly manual. The optional engine smog valve numbers would be non-illustrated parts from a build sheet but Jerry M has good documentation on those. I do not know why empirical evidence would suggest otherwise on base models but stranger things have happened.

-Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode