where to buy an LS1? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

I'm considering an LS1/T56 swap in my 68 Camaro. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to buy the setup? I would prefer some place local, near San Jose CA, but shipping is not out of the question if the price is right.
I have been reading all the posts on this topic for a while now and you guys have been very helpful.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 12:57 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Try GM Sport Salvage, it's right in your back yard!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 01:13 PM

Ryan,

I got mine from High Performance Salvage in San Antonio. Mark was nice to deal with. I got a 2001 LS1 & T56 Tranny w/20k miles for $4900 + 395 shipping to my house. You could also check GM Sports Salvage over by you in San Jose. I tried them a few times but they sell them very quick. I didn't talk price with them too much, but figure about the same that I paid. I don't know to many other local places yet since I only moved up here 6 months ago after I got out of school.

I felt paying a little more for a 2001+ motor would be worth it in the long run since I plan to modify the motor. The 2001+ motors have a better intake, newer block casting, no EGR, etc.

I'm over in Santa Clara, if you got any questions or want to come look at the car and see what kind of project you're getting yourself into just let me know.

- Jeremy

[This message has been edited by yagrmiestr (edited 11-13-2002).]

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 02:17 PM
Senior Tech

https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum9/HTML/008944.html

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!

<A HREF="http://hobbystage.net/camaro/69ss396" TARGET=_blank>Hobbystage Texas Tornado Website

</A>

North Texas Camaro Club
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I've been to sport salvage, they want $6000!

I've seen a few places that advertise on E-bay, http://www.fparts.us/

LT1S.com

Both of these places want about $4500, and claim to have sold a lot of these setups. Has anybody bought from them?

Jeremy,
thanks for the offer. If I get an Ls1, I'll have to pay you a visit.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech

I have been to that F parts place at Pensilyvania. and bought some parts from them. Talk to Ron he is in charge about F parts. The place is a big Corvette salvage yard. Nice people.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 05:49 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 68inSJ:
I've been to sport salvage, they want $6000!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not that far off what Jeremy paid after shipping and asking price may be different than walk in and show them cash price. Make sure what ever deal you work with whoever includes computers and all wiring as a $4000 deal with a missing part could end up costing you more in the long run...

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 02:20 PM
Senior Tech

I got lucky when I bought mine. It was on ebay but not listed in the right place. I just happened to stumble upon it. I got a 2002 with auto trans. and all acc.,computer,wiring,everything. It has less than 500 miles on it and I paid $4000 for it plus $200 shipping form Georgia to Michigan. There are good deals to be had on ebay, you just have to be careful. I was able to talk to the seller on the phone and that made me feel a lot better about it. John
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech

I paid $4500.00 for a 2001 LS1 with 6 speed, wiring harnes computer and clutch master cylinder. Found it on ebay and shipped from Texas To New Jersey.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech

i have heard of complete wrecked cars with good drivelines going for about $5500 or so. that's the way i'd personally go. you can get it running before you pull it out-just to check- and you get other bonus goodies like rear disc brakes and maybe seats and what not thrown in for free. just need to provide the labor to pull it all out, that's all. then, once you take what you need, you can sell the shell and maybe get back some of your money.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

[This message has been edited by novaderrik (edited 11-14-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode