what should i do - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 04, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i have a 69 camaro with it's original 350 in it. Its a good engine and runs great. first of all, i am wondering how long an engine and its block will last...of course it's obviously already 35 years old (1969 to now). do engines like my 350 stay solid over all these years? Also, i am wondering if i should just go buy a new 350 block from chevy...or is that a waist b/c i already have one? will my original 350 be as durable and strong as a new block, as long as i overhaul my original one? what shoud i do?

'69 SS 350 Camaro (true X55)<br />350 turbo with shift kit<br />3.55 posi rear end<br />favorite Bible verse...all of 'em!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 04, 06:18 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Welcome to Team Camaro

KEEP THE DANG BLOCK IF ITS THE ORIGIONAL!!! Especially if you have the orginal trans and rearend.
Your block is "seasoned" and thereby less likely to fail as compared to some new blocks. It was made of "real metal" back then.

A rebuild is a fairly easy task depending on what your desires are with respect to the cars future performance. A complete rebuild with even a modest upgrade in internals will still be less than a crate engine. Putting it all together and starting it for the first - 1000th time will so make it worth it compared to the crate engine. You'll end up with all the boasting rights you'll ever want when its finished and your friends want to know how you did it. Moreover, you'll know what the motor is made of and how it tics vs the neighbor that bought his car at a show. Seems we Camaro peops have a lot of pride in our rolling bank accounts. Just ask some how much guff they get from their better halves for all the time and mony they spent in the garage. They'll still tell you it was worth it.

Whatever your questions that arise, there are more than enough knowlegable gearheads here to help answer them and direct you in ways to reduce mistakes and time to get your car on the road again.

Ok, long enough post, sheeesh! Oh, to help understand the comment on the block, tranny and rearend. Those items make the car a #'s matching vehicle.. To the picky crowd, that makes the car more valuable, and should you decide to sell it in the future. That bit of info can help to bring in an additional 8-12k more from the buyers that are in the know provided the car is at or near pristine shape at the time.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 04, 09:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Nontooch hit the originality issues right on the head.

As for longevity, always hard to say, but a properly maintained 350 can last a quarter million miles before needing a rebuild, or could be smoking and wheezing at 80,000.

If the car is stock, was always properly maintained, and isn't raced (much)it will probably last the nice summers day car's equivalent of forever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 04, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech

One other item I would add, is that if it DOES have a lot of miles, or has already been rebuilt and therefore the cylinders bore out .030 thousands, or EVEN .060!!! then I would seriously consider removing it if it runs so well, doing the research on storing it properly, and then order one of the GREAT chevy crate motors available in long block form, or heck, even a COMPLETE ready to run engine. They are a blast, you will save the entire cost of the engine if you ever decide to sell (NEVER say never), and you have the numbers matching engine... heck you will make more on the car with both engines in inventory... though I would NEVER sell my car! [img]smile.gif[/img]

67 Camaro | 350 | 650 Speed Demon | Dual plane GMPP intake | MSD ignition | Secret Cam (I don't know what it IS!) | 2.02/1.60 Camel Humps ported | Thorley Tri-Y's | 8.5 10 bolt 3.73 | M22
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 04, 06:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Actually, before the market got flooded with brand new hi-perf racing engine blocks and factory crate motors, the hot trick was to go out and find a "seasoned" engine block, meaning one with a 100K miles or so on it!! The idea was that as long as there are no cracks, the used iron was better since it had done all the shifting it was going to and most of the sand from the casting process had been shaken loose by driving it!!

Keep that 350!! I have the original 327 in my '68 and love every inch of it!!

Paul D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode