OIL - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 01, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Question

Just wondering if any of you guys are using synthetic oil in your hot rods? I was thinking trying it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 01, 01:44 PM
Senior Tech
John

Two Words....Red Line

John
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 01, 03:07 PM

Wink

Something about a man named Jedd, black gold, Texas tea!! he, he!! pdq67

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 01, 05:22 PM

pdq67, you are one funny dude! I love it.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 01, 05:58 PM

Two directions-

Both are that of hand-me-downs from the aerospace community. RedLine and Royal purple. Although, Mobile One is another good choise.
I have done a lot of engine development with Jim Jones at Traco engineering, for a streeter, Mobile One. Because you can purchase this stuff anywhere, at anytime. Now for a race car, or something you just want to squeeze every inch of power and relyability out of (or just baby) RedLine or Royal Purple. The only difference is about $2.00 more for the Royal Purple.

Between Mobile and RedLine, after about 20,000 miles (race) we saw absolutly no upper valvestem wear with the RedLine as compared to Mobile One.

Between RedLine and Royal Purple, I took 12 cars to the chassis dyno, ran them all, randomly selected 6 cars, changed to oil to Royal Purple and found on average about 12-15 hp gain with the Purple.

Then again, its only money. How fast do you want to go?

Tom

[This message has been edited by chacane67 (edited 01-11-2001).]
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 01, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

There is nothing better than Amsoil. That's not my opinion, it is a proven fact. www.amsoil.com I have it in everything I own that has oil in it.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 01, 03:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I use Mobil 1 in all my vehicles. In my 69, I run 15W-50.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 01, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech

I have torn down a few of my motors and have been very pleased with the way my bearings looked. After breakin, I run Mobil 1 and it really seems to do the trick. I second the above post, it is available anyway, just in case.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 01, 05:49 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Wink

What?? Nobody runs Wal Mart Tech2000??????

Mark
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 01, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I'm just running on the street so wear protection is my concern. I'm going to put a HO 350 crate motor in the car it has a few thousand miles on it. Will it be ok to switch to synthetic after having been run on petrolium based oil?
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 01, 08:20 AM

Smile

mbrekke

Yes, been running the stuff in ALL my vehicles for years and years. I check the circle on the back of the container for the Gov. rating and if it matches whats on Mobile 1, I use it.

Of course, these are not super lubes going into super engines, but rather just work in day to day use and I do change oil and filter every 3/3500 mles to hold sludge buildup to a minimum. And I have never had an oil related problem, ever.

I have a dear friend that buys the best money can buy because it makes him feel good.(A bragging rights thing). He won't hear any different so I just say, great!!

I don't have to feel good when spending too much for something when a less expensive something will work for me!! pdq67

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 01, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Hey pdq

I'm with you on this one. I've used it for several years now in everything from the lawnmower to my truck with no problems. You're right, if it "meets or exceeds" all the same requirements you're just kinda throwing your money away. I figure when my truck starts spinning 11,000 rpm's I'll put different oil in it. I even put it in the Camaro when I got it running again this past summer.

I don't remember Wal Mart owning any oil refineries, so it's probably manufactured by some "name brand" company that would rather remain nameless in this instance.

Mark
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 01, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech

to be honist it depend's on where you live..in a cold climit synth is the way to go! in a climit that very rarely see's freezing weather..a top grade of reg motor oil is fine..there have been alot of teast's and the new top line reular oil's are on par with synth in the wear area..try a blended oil, part synth part regular oil, it give's you the best of both world's for half the price of full synth...just a thought..i got a deal on some full synth at 3 buck's a bottle, i bought them out!!!LOL, but i normaly run a synth blend in my stuff..and it work's great. since you are in calie i would go for a blend..you will like the price and your motor will love you and run a long time. try the quakerstate 4X4 synth blend it 15W40 it is a truck oild but it has better high temp property's then a auto oil. just a thought and have fun!!!
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 01, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

I have used Mobil 1 in my 415 race engines for 5 years and NEVER had an oil related problem. Syntheics are good if you want the best protection and a little buffer if you dont always change your oil on time, because they last a bit longer than conventionals. I am no spokesman for oil companies, but after tearing down my motor this winter and seeing how the bearing were so good i put them back in i am now hooked on Moibil 1. Redline is also a good choice, but a bit more expensive, unless you are planning to turn 9,000 Rpm's for 500 miles straight i personally dont think it is needed.

If you decide conventional is the way to go, I have had very poor luck out of Pennsoil, And Quakerstate. Tried to dyno "stand dyno motor only" a mild 396, and the oild heated up so bad we couldnt make a pull. Had to finally put Kandall II in it. Kendall, Castrol, or Valvoline would be my choice of conventional/blend. Oils. I like Kendall best, maybe because it is green

NOTE: ALL BRAND NEW MOTORS MUSTY BE BROKEN IN ON CONVENTIONAL OIL. SYNTHETIC WILL NOT SEAL THE RINGS PROPERLY. FOR RACE ENGINES, A GOOD STAND DYNO TEST IS SUFFICEINT. FOR STREET NON-DYNOED MOTORS I RECCOMEND AT LEAST 1500 TO 3000 MILES ON CONVENTIONAL OIL. "NO BLENDS" JUST STRAIT PLAIN OLD OIL.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 01, 03:50 PM

OK somebody tell me the difference between 4X4 oil and passenger car oil?

Not to be mean, but that is just waiting to get slammed.

Hats off to the marketing boys a Q-state, they got someone to actually believe in that line of SH__.

I am very light hearted so do take this as the 'funnie' that it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode