ceramic headers on first start up - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just ordered a set of ceramic dougs headers for my camaro. My current exhaust is set up for some ugly rusted hookers I have laying around. Would it be wise to use them to fire the engine for the first time? or just throw the ceramic ones in there and be done with it (dont want to scratch the finish, or my paint!)

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 04:31 AM
Tech Team
Jim

my Hedman ceramic headers instructions state do not use when starting an engine for the first time or the warranty could be void. I started my engine using old headers, tuned the car, and then installed the ceramic headers. Really did not take that long to change over.

Good luck on the new engine

68 Camaro mild .030 427 12 bolt posi
10 2LT RS daily driver, Summit White
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Don

It's a good idea not to have new ceramic coated headers on when breaking in the cam.

If there is no choice, keep air circulated around the engine like I did here with a big fan.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 08:05 AM
Tech Team

I'll be starting my car tonight to break in my new cam, and I also just had my Hedman's ceramic coated. I have no other headers.

What could potentially happen to them?

Luckily it's cold outside, with a high around mid 60's, so that and a fan with the car rolled outside will hopefully help....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 09:43 AM
Senior Tech

i started my engine for the first time with ceramic headers on it without any discoloration. of course, the headers were already "seasoned" for a couple of years on a different car and then on the Nova with the old 307, so maybe that helped?

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 09:49 AM
Tech Team

My headers are a year old, but the ceramic coating is brand new....wonder if that could make any difference.....

So, my question is how is it different if it's the first time the engine is run, versus just running the headers for the first time on any engine? Is there more heat involved in the break-in?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ill see. I have a solid roller cam so there isnt much cam break in right? I would freak if I bumped something with the headers and put a chip on the firewall or some of my billet parts. I have the engine/Trans installed without the front sheet metal trying to get as much in as I can witout it being on there.

Justin

69 coupe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 02:31 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

I had this same issue not too long ago. I broke in a new engine with the ceramic headers and they discolored. I called Hedman and they told me that a new motor is rarely properly tuned; it is usually lean and/or the timing retarded. Both conditions cause higher cylinder temperatures. It is not uncommon for the headers to glow red during break in. When this occurs, the higher temperature changes the thermal characteristics of the coating and it looses its gloss and luster and may even rust. This is what happened to mine. Hedman was kind enough to return my headers and send me a new set.

Rick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

L48 350, BTO 2004R Level 3, 12 Bolt 4.10
New Project:
1969 Shelby GT350 (pics soon)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Find a set of manifolds to break the motor in with.. You will ruin a set of ceramics with initial running until the motor is dialed in. As stated the motor will get hot and the headers will get red hot, This will not only discolor the ceramic coating, but will destroy it thus defeating two reasons for them.. One they always are shiny and two and more important that they dissapate heat better. I've been running my motor now for 6 months and have finally got it dialed in. Now I'll look forward to finally putting the headers in with a new exhaust.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 04, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Well, I ruined my 6 month old set of ceramic headers breaking in a new engine. The timing was off (long story) and it cooked the headers. It's not worth the risk if you have other options.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 06:18 PM

I have a set of Hookers on my new motor and was concerned about new start-up damage. I called the manufacturer and was told that a new motor on intial fire-up produces an extreme heat rise/surge the would/could crack the ceramic coating, therefore the warranty void clause. After some research I found a company that "jet coats" the outside and inside with a metallic ceramic coating. Their representative assured me that I would have that problem and I didn't. Look for a local "jet coatings" company and get them to coat in and out, they run cooler and will save you the trouble of a switch.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 08:05 PM

I should claify my prior post. I meant to say that their rep. assured me that I would NOT have the problem of cracking. I hope this will clear up any confusion. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode