Replacing a DZ carburator - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

HI!
I have 69 Z/28 camaro with all the original parts ,heads intake camshaft etc.The problem is the carburator DZ holley 780 it needs a tune up or a rebuild.What kind of replacement (holley) carb do you recomend me to buy from my local speedshop??Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 06:28 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to 1FASTZ Send a message via Yahoo to 1FASTZ
I had the same problem with my original DZ carb. I rebuilt it, but accidently stripped the threads for the float adjustment on the primary fuel bowl. I didn't feel like spending $60 for a new fuel bowl plus I had a brand new carb sitting in the garage.

I basically moth balled the DZ carb and put on a brand new Holley 650 mechanical secondaries double pumper. It ended up working great out of the box. If you're looking for something that's better on gas mileage, I think the consensus will say that you should stick with a vacuum secondaries carb.

If you're carb isn't in too bad of shape, you should be able to rebuild it yourself for much less than the cost of a new carb. It's not too difficult to rebuild one and it might be worth a try. Just some food for thought.

If you're looking for something more original, brand new carbs, exactly like the original DZ, are available, but they were around $500 to $600 the last time I checked, which is pretty darn expensive in my opinion.

Basically you have a few options to choose from. As far as carb size, your original carb is a 780 cfm, but I think a 650 will be sufficient, if you want to buy another carb. I've run mine, with the 650, up to nearly 7,000 rpm with no fuel starvation what so ever.

Would mine run better with a larger carb? Maybe in the quarter mile, but for street driving, the 650 should give better throttle response.

Good luck, let us know what you decide!

Marty Lake
1969 Z/28 fathom green X77
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
John

You can send it to the Holley Custom Shop. They will rebuild and re-color it. It will look and run like new, and be original. Not real cheap, but less than a replacement DZ.

John
'67 SS/RS (RR)
'68 RS conv. (J2)
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'68 Drag Car(ZZ) 11.30 @ 118
'73 Corvette Drag Car 12.64 @ 106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

The original 780 is basicaly a 3310 with an added secondary power valve. You can not add it yourself as far as I know but the 3310 is set up not to need the extra secondary power valve by richening up the secondary meetering plate.
A 3310 would make a decent inexpensive replacement IMHO.

-Mark.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 03, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

Hi!!
Thanks for your help, I think the 650 is right for me and my wallet.I am only using the car on the street not on the quarter mile.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 03, 12:16 PM
Team Member
John

If you have the original DZ carb, get it professionally rebuilt (Jerry MacNeish, www.z28camaro.com); it's a nice piece, and is both rare and valuable. Here's the kind of work Jerry does (my DZ carb):

[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode