Got my engine ready to go! new pictures - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 04, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I got the fuel lines and plug wires installed yesterday. Need to get some more hose for my brake booster and pcv. What size should I use? I was thinking 3/8. You guys can see my shaved firewall in the picture too. I still need to start on the wiring inside and out. Im waiting for my body guy to get back to me. We welded the passenger side a/c vent shut so the smoothness from my DSE dash would blend. Til them Ill keep you guys updated with pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 04, 11:11 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Angry

Beautiful, just beautiful, good job.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 04, 11:33 PM

I gotta say, that really does look awesome! I only WISH I could get my engine bay looking that clean! Way to go, it is certainly worth popping the hood for any who ask you to do so! Man that's clean, like something fresh off a "Horsepower TV" episode!

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thank you for the kind words [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] Those hookers are outta there as soon as the engine is fired, I have ceramic thorleys for it. I just hope the rest of the car comes out that clean. I bought an aluminum radiator from classic industries a while back, I have a pic of it mounted if anyone wants to see it. I plan on going with a be cool module system so the old one has gotta go. anyone lookin for a radiator? I wanted the engine clean and functional. I sacrificed the a/c just so I didnt have any hoses running to the motor I wanted it to be the center of attention.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 01:08 AM

I don't go down to Cali as much as I used to, which is sad since I am definately looking for a rad! I am up here in Hoser Country, where one would think radiators are not needed (lol) but mine is plugged up like a Dutchman on a cheese diet. It would probably cost less for me to just buy a radiator here rather than have to pay the exchange rate and shipping and all that garbage.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 02:16 AM

First off, GREAT looking motor there My First!!

BreathWeapon,

Please look into a Summit's House brand, Northern Aluminum radiator for your car.

See the two flanges on his rad. top. I just took and put four about "flange height", (3/4" I think?), aluminum square tubes across them on each side, top and bottom, then put a 1/8" x 2" thick aluminum strip on top of them and pop riveted them all together and the drilled four 3/8" holes in the rad support two, top and two bottom and then used washers and rubber to space it out so it is about 1/4" away from any possible rub point!!

Sucker looks like it belongs in there stock, or at least to me!!!

I did it this way b/c I only paid like $160 or so for the rad. w/o side mounts but if I woulda got the correct side mount one, it woulda been alot more expensive.... I ran my '66 Buick, four core stock rad. the same way at the tyop for several years with a strip of "Plumbers Helper" across thwe lower part tp clamp it along with several thick pieces of rubber. Worked fine but it didn't look very good down low, but the top was fine.

If I had it to do over again, I would center my bolt holes to the rad. support opening instead of the rad. b/c it is offset so my bolts aren't symetrical and centered sorta deal is all.....

I'm just "nit-picking" myself is all.....

pdq67

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 02:20 AM

Oooh, forgot to mention, you can use 1/4" or 5/16" bolts and same sized holes and use the same size hardware if you can drill accuately enough, which I already know I didn't is all....

I had to drill bigger holes b/c I didn't drill very good but did use smaller bolts, not 3/8" stuff!!!

Boy, I can't type for sh-- this morning!!

pdq67

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 03:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Totally gorgeous!!! (winter project--- I will detail my engine compartment...)

Love those valve covers, who's r they?

3/8" is right for the hose, power brake hose is special stuff so it won't collapse under high vacuam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 06:50 AM
Senior Tech

I think what really make that engine look so nice is those pulleys. Very nice looking.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I got the valve covers at a swap meet for $50 brand new.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Nice and clean, great job. I have a set of those valve covers as well. there is/was a guy selling them on e-bay. I think I paid ~$50-60 for them.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 07:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I like those valve covers.... even better than my vintage m/t's...

If I was to look for a set, what would I look for?

How well do the breathers / oil fill / pcv work? Do they drip oil all over the place?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

there is a shield under the baffle. The rubber gromet is about 2 inches long and is shielded. The flange is very thick around the gasket area. Im using some metal core rubber gaskets. I had some cheap chrome valve covers and I actually bent them when I torqued the bolts down. These are very high quality and thick metal. Hard to keep clean though. I have a slight tarnish I had to polish off but other then that I love em.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

They are made by Wysco, they make most of the cast aluminum stuff you see out there. Companies just have them put XXX brand on them and charge more for the same product.

Perfect example of what to look for: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...925598967&rd=1

If you want a breather and PCV to match:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...925598924&rd=1

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech

MY FIRST 69,

How did you attach the coil bracket to the Victor Jr. intake? I didn't think the Vic Jr. had bosses for this. Did you modify the bracket and attach via the manifold to head bolt? How is your air cleaner clearance with this setup?

Thanks. -Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode