Alternator help...think I killed it. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

Sure enough,I had the blue and white wires backwards on my alternator. I drove it for awhile, and it was still showing an output of about 12volts on my tester, even with the wires backwards. I promptly changed them...while the car was running since my battery was getting low...obviously because I had driven it without an alternator and my tester must not be too 'smart'.

In doing the wire switch, I must've grounded out something by accident, or somehow damaged the alternator, as now it's not giving me a charging reading at all, nada, nothing, zippo.

Should I rebuild my alternator, as it's an original style one, or can I get one rebuilt cheap somewhere, or should I go with a newer 1 wire style or chrome one....

Thanks!
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 07:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Man you're having some bad luck. Rebuilt ones are readily available, I bought one last year. If it's original to the car have it rebuilt. Take it to one of the parts stores that can/are willing to test it for you. You may have fried the regulator instead. Could be a good opportunity to switch to a one wire. There's lots of info to read about that swap.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 09:24 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

Damn Josh if you had any worse luck.. you would um be ME lol well the good news is your engine still works unlike ME lol ... what do you want josh? thats the question.. sounds to me that you have an original looking alternator which to me says looks original but isn't.. if that is the case .. Do you want a nice shiney one wire chrome one? Do you have the bucks for it? Or do you want your engine compartment to look fairly original or like a pretty show and shine machine? I personally like originality (or at least original looking) but this is a decision that only you can make. hopefully you experience better luck in the near future!

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Bad luck has been my fortune lately. Not thrilled, but I'm trying to persevere. The car is very far from stock, so originality doesn't concern me. I just want whatever I get to work and look okay. This one was crusty till I painted it, but worked great until I fried something...and melted part of my timing light which fell onto my newly ceramic coated headers while I was dinking around with the alternator...duhoh. I have bits and pieces of chrome, billet, etc. so chrome would be cool, but not necessary. I have lots of cast aluminum under there too, so the standard finish is fine by me.

Did I mention that my haromonic balancer is wobbly and my timing cover leaks? Time to replace even more parts and do things a 3rd or 4th time. Guess you have to learn somehow.

Did I mention I'm selling it! Hahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode