Short Shifter Linkage Rod on TH350 Swap? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

I have a 67 RS Camaro w/327 and Powerglide setup and a factory floor shift. I am swapping my PG for a TH350 (non-electric). A factory 67 PG auto. floor shifter, which already had the TH350 "Shiftworks Kit" installed, was given to me by a friend. I was also given the little silver "Shiftworks" Tranny Gear Selector bracket to mount on my TH350 valve body shaft.

After I dropped out my PG and installed the TH350 I found out that my original Floor Shifter Linkage Rod was about 3" too short??...what happened?? Everyone tells me that my original shifter Linkage Rod should work fine. Do I need to extend my original rod? (its about 15"lg and the the thread are adjusted all the way out..) Do I need to use my original PG Tranny Gear Selector Bracket?

Another thing I noticed was that a Metric Nut was required to hold the "Shiftworks" Gear Selector Bracket on the Tranny? Do I have a Metric TH350? Also my cooling lines do not match up very well at all... I guess I just bend the hard lines to match?

A few last notes: 1) my existing driveshaft hooks up just fine (i.e. Overall Length is same as my PG). 2) The pivot point of the Tranny Gear Selector valve body shaft is about 9" from the front edge of the bellhousing...same as my PG..

What am I missing.. something is not right , but I'm at a loss...I thought going from a PG to TH350 was a straight swap..any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I want to get this car on the road..

Thanks, Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 02:47 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
transmissions use a lot of metric parts, so thats common, sorry i cant help out on the other stuff.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 04:19 AM
Senior Tech

Not Too sure about the 67 set up, but
Could you possible have the tranni shift bracket on backwards???
Flip it 180 degrees.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

I may not have "seen the forest for the trees"... i am going o double check that bracket tonight .. I really hope that's it... this is my first tranny swap and I'm a real novice..

When going from PG to a TH350 will I be able to use the same flywheel?? ...the reason I ask... last night I was not able to get my Torque Converter to bolt up to the existing flywheel I have tried rotating the flywheel and my original SAE bolts just dont want to go in... I will persist... I was under the impression that I could use my existin Flywheel... I believe its the small 153 tooth.

thanks..

[This message has been edited by cool67rs (edited 04-10-2002).]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 02, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech

Not sure about the fly wheel, but when I install the bolts into the Torque convertor I start the first one but DO NOT tighten it all the way, rotate and start the next bolt, etc, untill all 4 are started then work around and tighten them all, When you start the bolts run them in untill they are almost tight, if you leave them loose they may hit further up, preventing you from rotating the flywheel.
Let us know if flywheel works or if land up changing it.

[This message has been edited by Rob.Canada (edited 04-11-2002).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 02, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Rob... evrything is hooked... last night was a good nigtht everything fell together... got it off the jacks and took the car for a spin... Man, I really love the the TH350 drives compared to a PG... little more bottom end... I'm happy..!!

I still have two issues to tangle with... I have a governor on the drivers side of the tranny near the tailshaft (Igues this is typical with late TH350;s).. My Shifter linkage rod is interfering and I am not getting a straight push.. I can run through all detents except "1st"... I need to mess with fitting te linkage rod better... but it runs...Secondly, my speedo is off.. I need to get the correct driven/dirving gear setup.. and suggestions on these two things...Thanks again, Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode