Engine has ben sitting - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 03, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

How do you flush a gas tank out? Just bought a car that has been idle for 16 years. I dropped and drained the tank, what next to get the gummed up stuff out of it? Please advise. ALso, the engine ran when he stopped it, what do I need to get done to it? Completely rebuilt? Its a 350/300 engine. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 03, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech

16 years. Wow. Solvent could take a lot of the gum out but it might end up being a combination of rust and gum in the tank. Not knowing how the car was stored I'd figure as a minimum take the plugs out paying attention to their condition for rust and what not. Then if no rust on any plugs you are very lucky. Also as a minimum take the valve covers off and look for rust. If no rust then you should make a trip to Vegas being on a roll like that. If no rust under the valve covers and plugs I'd try redoing the oils, coolant, and other fluids. Make sure everything is tight then prime and flush with a super light oil to see what comes out and then go to 10W-30W or just 30W for a quick few minutes of running. Not sure of the weights actually. Whatever oil you end up using for running the engine I'd change it not long after with the filter.
Your brake lines, calipers and cylinder will probably have water in them from the silicone pulling in moisture. It normally has rust in the lines, master, calipers and cylinders. One good thing a complete brake job is easy.
I hope you don't have to tear it down but rebuilding it might be the best answer. The gaskets right now not knowing what a running engine is might give you trouble.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 04:50 AM

Smile

Squirt a few shots of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and change the oil and add what you want to run along with a bottle of EOS so that you cam can get lubed b/c I bet it is real dry.

Good luck with her, and I bet she will be fine! pdq67

PS., Might smoke a schosh at first, but once warmed up and cleaned up will be fine!! And don't rpm her until she warms up but rather just high enough to lube the cam...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 07:04 AM

My car had sat for 10 years when I bought it. It had not been prepped in any way for it's long nap, just parked. I checked the plugs for rust, changed the oil and filter, pulled the distributer and primed the oil pump/engine. Then I put the distributer back in and started the engine. It started right up. That was 24 years ago, the engine still hasn't had any major work done to it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 03, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech

a friend of mine got a 69 427 400 horse vette that his dad stored for a guy for 30 years. the guy disappered for the last 20 years. they decited to get a aban title. i sent the 3 carbs to holly to rebuild. i got it running ok. so far but i have a huge power loss, im in the middle of checking all the vac lines. any one have any suggestions? this car has 6000 orig miles. still has orig belts, hoses, tires its like it just left the showroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode