Surge when idling in 1st - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 02, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

Guys, I have a 350, TFS heads, Edelbrock RPM and 600cfm carb, headers, HEI, etc. I drive my car a bunch in traffic and it has always suffered a bit of "surge" when I'm creeping along at idle in first. The whole car starts to lurch forward continually when I'm at about 900rpms in fist. What do I need to look at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 02, 07:32 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Check for any spark scatter than can be caused by the distributor shaft having too much endplay (or the cam has too much endplay).

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 02, 08:17 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
You could have too big of a cam for your converter, your floats could be adjusted wrong, you could be idling on the advance curve or even have the throttle bore open to much at idle to compensate for a rich idle mixture adjustment or not enough initial timing

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 02, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

Forgot to mention that it's not an automatic tranny. Cam is a fairly tame Lunati grind.

For timing, I'm running 12 degrees initial connected to full manifold vacume and have adjusted the Crane vacume advance so that I end up with about 22 degrees at idle. My mechanical advance gets me to 36 degrees by 3500rpm.

Dennis, I'll check the throttle bore to see if it's "too" open. I think I am running a bit rich at idle as the exhaust fumes out the back are pretty strong.

Silver, How do you check for "spark scatter"? Not sure that I understand what this even is.

Marty
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 02, 12:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage
Sounds like a big cam with low gears to me!

------------------
My 67 CAMARO
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 02, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

Nope, pretty mild cam. Rear is 3.73 driving through a T5.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 02, 02:12 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I think what you're surging is a trate of every manual transmission car idling down the road in gear. Obviously the lighter the car and the smoother the cam the less lugging will be felt. Most V8's I ever drove with a stick would not pull the car on flat ground idling and would stall very quickly.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 02, 09:27 PM
David Pozzi

Your timing sounds good, so I'd play with idle mixture. Maybe clean out the car with some spray carb cleaner and check the floats, then try different idle mixture settings. If it is too lean or has a vaccum leak, it will cough and spit. Just short of that lean it will get balky, stumble a little and act like it has more cam than it really has.

If it had points ignition, I'd check dwell.
Plug condition is important too. Maybe try a hotter plug. Make sure your wires are good, you need a lot of spark to fire a plug when pulling the car at idle.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 02, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

Thanks David, I'll check those things. I tried to watch the rpms this morning when the car does this and it doesn't seem to drop any rpms. I should probably not have described this as a surge as it is more of a jump or lurch ofthe entire car. It really starts to rocking if I don't give it some gas. I've been stuck in some serious Houston traffic this week with all the rain so I've noticed it more than usual. It also doesn't just happen in 1st. If I drop the rpms down to the 1000 range in 2nd, I start to get the same response.

[This message has been edited by 69CamaroSS (edited 10-10-2002).]

[This message has been edited by 69CamaroSS (edited 10-10-2002).]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 02, 10:28 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I really think you are reading more into this than it is... (not being able to drive with you in your car I can only go on what you say) Ever put the brakes on and forget to push in the clutch? What you are feeling is the car about to die but each chug pushes the car forward just a bit and keeps the engine moving. The second gear at 1000rpm doing the same thing just makes me think so all the more!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 02, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

Ok Dennis, I hear ya.

But my left leg is going to be twice as big as my right one with all the stop and go traffic here lately. At least it's cool outside for a change (72 right now!) so I'm not sweatin my *** off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode