Edelbrock Heads - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 02, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have been looking for new heads for awhile and I need a final opinion. I have purchased just about all of the Performer RPM components except the heads. Looking at flow numbers it seems that trickflow does better on the average especially at lifts lower than .300". However, I can get a big deal on any new edelbrock head. I am tending to not want the performer rpm heads cause of the smaller 170cc intake runners. I like the 215cc intakes on the victor jrs. This is for a 350. I am basically wondering would the 215ccs cause the rpm band to be too high? By that I mean more than 6500rpm (possibly 7000rpm) limit. I am willin to sacrific a few lb-ft at low rpm (for god sake if edelbrock is right I should have over 410lb-ft with 175cc intakes).
If I buy the victor jr 23 degree, is there anything else I need to know (cause they are 23 degree).
Specs:
Performer RPM air gap
750cfm edelbrock carb
performer rpm cam
hedmen 1 3/4" primaries with 3" collector
american thunder 2 1/2" exhaust.
currently 10:1 compression with 70cc heads
soon to be roller rockers...
thanks
jeff
sorry for the long ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 02, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech
John

I think that the rpm cam would be the biggest culprit in moving your rpm range up too high... For the same price as the RPM heads, you could look into the Trick Flow 23* aluminum heads. They flow very well, have 2.02/1.60 valves, and 195cc runners. They are a good deal.

I personally just put on some Pro Topline 180cc intake runner aluminum heads on a 350 and think that they are great. The flow numbers are excellent, especially considering the small port. They should be good for low rpm torque (which they are with an XE274 cam that has 230/236* duration @.050'') and will still flow well enough to breath on the top end. I haven't really wailed on it yet though so I can't attest to that.

Good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 02, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech

Just a point to ponder. I have used the RPM Performer heads on alot of applications and always have stuck with the whole system. The whole setup is better than parts of the system with other heads in my experience. So, most of the R&D on heads and intakes etc are all done with their components.

So, the sum of the entire package is better than the sum of the components, so to speak.

There are better heads tho. But your heads may not be the bottleneck in the VE of your engine.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 02, 08:19 PM

I say get the performer rpm heads, those are sweet. I have edelbrbock heads and they are very good, dont worry about the small intake runners of the rpm heads. Theres a chevelle around here that has those heads and its done a low 10 with nitrous, runs low 12s on pump gas. The only other heads in that price range that I would even consider is the trick flows, but since you already have the edelbrock stuff you should stick to the edelbrock heads. Ive heard that edelbrock cam kinda sucks for street, but should make a nice lope! good luck.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 02, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Anymore other comments?
Like I said I don't care if the max rpm band is past 6500rpm, I just don't want to buy heads that don't make enough power down low. It looks like eveyone thinks I should go with the performer RPM ones. Yes, I would rather buy the trickflow heads, but I can't pass up the $200-250 my friend is going to save me on edelbrock products.
Unless, the trickflows are $200+ dollars better flat out.
jeff
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 02, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

i'll give a second to the pro action (pro topline, pro lightning ) cyl. heads. i put a set of 220 aluminum pro actions on my 406 and they make KILLER power, from idle on up to 6800 , which is all the farther i care to go with it, but they still are pulling at the shift. my personal feelings are unless you plan on going more cubic inches or going to make it a high winder, 7k plus, i'd stick w/ under 200 cc runners. i can tell you at any rate, i'm very happy with the pro actions, they are very well designed, reasonably affordable head, and mine flowed excellent when they were checked, flowing nearly same as advertised on the intake, and better on the exhaust by almost 15 cfm. people do have good points about running a complete package, since it's been matched for you, but IMO with a little reseacrh and self education, you should be able to match a good combo for yourself. just my opinions, good luck!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 02, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

In my opinion if you are willing to rev it past 6500 and are going to use Edelbrock Victor Jr heads the RPM cam would be OK. But even better for revs that high would be a solid flat tappet cam.

The Comp Cams 282s should scream up to 6500 or maybe more in a 350 while still providing excellent throttle response. I know personally that the 282s cam works well with the Trick Flow heads because thats what I ran for a while in my 383.

I had the car on a chassis dyno and it was still making good HP at 6500 RPM and only started to fall off at 6600 RPM. If you are going to run over 6000 R's (you'll need to if you want to take full advantage of the flow available with the Victor Jr heads) a solid cam is the only way to go.

Just my opinion.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 02, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey all, thanks for the replies, I went ahead and got the performer rpms cause the deal was even better than I thought!!! Anyway, I will be installing them around thanksgiving (when I get a break here at Tech). I'll tell everyone how I think it performs when I get it in.
Jeff
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 02, 02:19 AM

Ditto Eric68 on the solid cam... pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode