4.3 v6 where to get carb,intake and dist,want to trash tbi - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 02, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey i fixed it cheep, it was the tbi,fuel pressure regulator,that is part of the tbi unit. {it is held on with torx screws,easy to service!}
see below!

I know i should put in a v8,but,low on bucks.. i want to get rid of my throttle body on my 1990 k1500 winter truck 4.3 v6
the thing runs like poop. it needs an o2 sensor,a knock sensor,and should have the y pipe replaced,
do i need to change the dist,anyone have a "normal"hei that will work for this??
how bout the intake,i bet no such luck there is an adaptor to go from tbi to carb

am i totally wasting my time?
I bought this beater for the winter,and don't want to waste tons of money,that i can spend on my '67 Camaro...

------------------
'67 RS 427,4 Speed
Disc brakes,console, fold down rear seat,heater,
Radio Delete, Cowl hood,front,rear spoilers,
Black/black; white bumblebee stripe
Click to see my Camaro

[This message has been edited by cavemanmoron (edited 11-24-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 02, 02:06 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

It wont be any faster with a carb. I would get the TBI running right (probably will cost less or as much as a carb/intake/distributor combo). It will be more reliable and get better fuel economy.

4.3L performance parts are getting hard to find. I would invest in headers, exhaust system, K&N Filter, cold air induction, and maybe some pocket porting on the heads if you want more performance. You could get some Vortec V-6 heads and do some work on those too.

------------------
Matt Jones
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 02, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech

Yeah 4.3's are getting hard to find parts for in the performance area ( I have a S-10 with one ). I have TBI on mine and used a edelbrock intake on it with stock GM TBI, added headers and have a Flowmaster exaust on it. There are Computer chips that change shift points but not much else.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 02, 06:38 PM
Senior Tech

I had an 85 Astro van with carb, maybe find one in the junkyard and take the goodies, but you will probably fail your emissions test, or summit sells an alum intake for a 4.3 carb, and probably bolt up your camaro's carb to it..

??
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 02, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech

Somehow I wond up with two edelbrock alu. intakes for the 4.3 in GM performance parts boxes... Send me an email..

They'll fit a spreadbore or square flange 4 bbl

John
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 02, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TEAM CANADA:
I had an 85 Astro van with carb, maybe find one in the junkyard and take the goodies, but you will probably fail your emissions test, or summit sells an alum intake for a 4.3 carb, and probably bolt up your camaro's carb to it..

??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
hmm the 850 d/p might be a little too big for a 4,3 hahahaha, maybe a Qjet??
no emmisions sniffer here yet

------------------
'67 RS 427,4 Speed
Click to see my Camaro

[This message has been edited by cavemanmoron (edited 11-21-2002).]
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech

keep the efi, and use it as a learning tool to get into the fuel injected stuff. as someone already stated, it would probably be cheaper to replace what needs replacing to get the tbi running right, and you get the added bonus of actually learning something. the old "efi sucks, carbs make more power" routine just doesn't really apply anymore.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by novaderrik:
keep the efi, and use it as a learning tool to get into the fuel injected stuff. as someone already stated, it would probably be cheaper to replace what needs replacing to get the tbi running right, and you get the added bonus of actually learning something. the old "efi sucks, carbs make more power" routine just doesn't really apply anymore.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
well you may be right,but i also like the KISS theory
Keep
It
Simple [for]
Stupid

but the simple thing;is also,to fix what is in the truck now;
just the carbs are more familiar,and known to me,LOL

------------------
'67 RS 427,4 Speed
Click to see my Camaro
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 04:15 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silver69Camaro:
It wont be any faster with a carb. I would get the TBI running right (probably will cost less or as much as a carb/intake/distributor combo). It will be more reliable and get better fuel economy.

4.3L performance parts are getting hard to find. I would invest in headers, exhaust system, K&N Filter, cold air induction, and maybe some pocket porting on the heads if you want more performance. You could get some Vortec V-6 heads and do some work on those too.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 12:28 PM

You had better check with your state license buearu,(sp?), and "smog police" people before you do this because it may be flat illegal to do!!!

I want to keep you from spending a bunch of money and then being told in no uncertain words to put it back stock or else at licensing time... It cost a friend like $1200 to put all his smog sh-t back on after he got mad and stripped it off in MO then moved to VA. pdq67

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 04:32 PM

Check out Speedwaymotors.com. You can buy a manifold to do what you are looking to do. Keep in mind most states have emission laws. You may not have an engine that will pass an emissions test after the conversion!!!

------------------
Joe
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 02, 03:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I've got a 4.3 in my 86 chevy pick up, and I know it was 86 but it came stocked with a 4 brrl carb. I have 230,000 miles on it with a mild Crane cam inside and mine still passes emissions here in New Jersey. If somebody wants to see I could even post the read out.... actually i'd like to here what people say:

------------------
1968 Coupe, 327/210hp project in process. PS/PB, Factory AC, adding camelhumps and a CompCam XE262
1986 Chevy Stepside, dying 4.3L, TH-400, no A/C, 2wd, 1/4 million miles.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 02, 06:06 AM

Your VIN will tell them what the Fed's count as stock, (read--acceptable), for your car so even if you pass a smog check, you will probably fail a visual inspection!!!

pdq67

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 02, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey it was something fairly simple!!
The spring for the fuel pressure regulator On the tbi was broken!!
At some of the v-6 and GM forums,they talk about a Cheep mod to slightly increase the fuel pressure.
I thought I would try it, HMMMM, i found the spring was broken!!!
A bud at work had gave me a tbi,that came off a 2.8 v-6,but it uses the same tps,and fuel pressure regulator, i swapped the regualtor,and wow,smooth idle!
I also drilled the cup off the idle adjuster,and increaed my idle about 50 rpm,to compensate for the wear that over 12 years has put on the throttle linkage etc.
I also noticed the 2.8 tbi spacer had the center cut open,so i cut open the middle of the old spacer,and sprayed them both with copper permatx gasket spray,{double gasket}
to allow a little side to side airflow.

Thanks to all for the hints,and Reminders about the emissions crappola,that is really tough on some of ya! I still have no problem with pcv,air {injection} or catalytic convertors, but quiet mufflers !!!! Yuck,next thing to go hahah!

------------------
'67 RS 427,4 Speed
Click to see my Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode