Crate engines - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

G.M. crate engines seem to be the gold standard for for small block mills. What about the Procell Bros., American Speed, MP Automotive,Speedomotive It seems like more h.p. can be had for less money with the last five units. Is it a durability, reliability issue? I know G.M. has a very strong rotateing assembly, forged crank,rods roller cam, and a good warranty. How do the other engines compare. I've got a 67 and wouild like to make it into a good bracket racer that will also be used on the streets. probably around 400-425 h.p.
Thanks
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech
John

I have heard good things about American Speed, Procell and also All Chevy Engines. Procell and American Speed say that they dyno test and break in all of their engines, but they don't have a warrantee on most I am sure.

Lots of people like only the GM engines, but these other shops appear to have more motor for your buck. They also have more options in engine parts and horses.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 02:58 PM
Tech Team

Just completed quit a bit of research on this one. Stay away from Speedomotive. Great prices and S__T machine work. I have also read some very negative reports about GM quality on the crate motors. May have just been a bad run. However I would look at a couple of others depending on what you want to build.

Beck Racing good quality high price
American Speed good quality high price
Edelbrock good quality decent price
Lingenfelter great quality Very high price

The hottest stuff going right now for more performance in a crate is comming from DART who is now building a 383 with very high quality parts.

Also check out the world 415 crate motor now thats a stormer.

Hope this helps. Bottom line is you get what you pay for and a no name shop on the Internet selling a crate motor scared me off. However some of these others are promising.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech
John

All Chevy Engines www.allchevyengines.com has a 383 package with iron heads and a street worthy cam that runs 410 horses at around 5500-6000 and 450ft. lbs. all for $3200

There is also a guy who runs a shop and sells his stuff on Ebay. His name is Mark and goes by the seller name "[email protected]" He has great prices on good looking packages. All of his info says his motors are good and I know of at least one person on this board who has bought from him. Right now he has a 430 horse 355 engine with aluminum heads and roller cam for $3000.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 01, 07:01 AM
Senior Tech

I purchased my motor from mark at [email protected]. So far I am very happy. I ended up getting a stroker 383, aluminum head 425+ HP engine from him. Shipping was $150 to New Hampshire. It is best to call him directly. Sometimes his engines get multiple bids on EBAY. He will sell to you directly for his listing price or his reserve price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode