What are the specs of this engine ??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have 1969 Convertible that has a "Target Motor 350" engine...what are the performance spec of this engine ? HP/Tq ??
transmission is TH 350 si there a better auto tranny that will improve acceleration ? (don't know how to tell what rear end I have!)
Thanx in advance!

Kemy

[ 03-09-2003, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: kemy ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 06:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Wow, that's a pretty old GM replacement engine. I think that they stopped the "target motor" program in the eighties??

These were replacement 'smog' motors for Impalas. Probably about 8.5 to one compression, bad heads, no cam. I wouldn't imagine that that engine goes much better than 225HP at the plate in 4bbl trim.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I guess you're right, the previous owner told me he got this engine brand new in 1989, I'm not sure if i can get better performance with this engine , it has a 4bbl Quadrajet p/n 17066555, what do u think ?? a carb upgrade ? any ideas will be much appreciated.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 09:48 AM
Senior Tech
John

the quadrajet will be sufficient for your engine. If you want more power, a cylinder head swap, and a cam swap will be helpful.

The engine probably does have fairly low compression though, so be careful when choosing cylinder heads and cams. If you want a high-perf camshaft you'll need to build some compression, and smaller combustion chambers are an easy way to do so. However, don't increase compression too much or you'll have other problems.

I'd say, first figure out what kind of heads you've got on there and try to figure out how much compression you are running.

John

- '68 Chevy Camaro (sort of done, but always subject to improvement)
- '63 Pontiac Tempest (work in progress)
- '72 Datsun 240-Z (back-burner for now)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 11:32 AM

Smile

Around 7.9 to 8.1 or so CR.
Medium valve 76 cc heads, (but I may be off here some??).
The great old -929 hydraulic cam that was used in everything from the 195hp/283, 210/250/275/300hp/327, 295hp and others/350 and 265hp/400.

It has a cast crank and four bolt mains and the block may have come from Mexico if not mistaken.. It was a very good core motor to use for a hop up..

Hope this helps... pdq67

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It sure helps pdq67 !! you seem to know this engine by heart [img]smile.gif[/img] , by the way when you say "hop-up" what kind of actions do u think of ?? what's the best one can get out of this engine ?

Thank you all for your replies , you surely help me a lot

Kemy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 06:29 PM

Angry

No, I don't know them by heart but I do have an old mag. that did a buildup using a new one as a base when they first came out.

I remember the spec's b/c the story listed GM's spec's for the old -929 cam and THAT did stick with me...

BTW, a Performer cam and a Performer intake along with a Holley 1850, 600cfm carb. and a set of 1.5" or 1.625" four tube long headers is just about as good as you can get unless you address it's low compression... But it will run fine this way until you do work on the CR. thing... pdq67

PS., or maybe a swap meet 275 or 300hp/327 Q-Jet and stock intake if you are bucks down...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode