383 stroker is in! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 05, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

i just got my turn key 383 in today 420hp 455troq,
now for in stall i have a orignal 307 in there now will the starter fit off it? and fan and motor mounts what do i need to do the job right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 05, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally posted by jigga99:
i just got my turn key 383 in today 420hp 455troq,
now for in stall i have a orignal 307 in there now will the starter fit off it? and fan and motor mounts what do i need to do the job right?
Is your 383 internally or externally balanced? If internal, and of 2 piece rear seal variety, your old flywheel(or flexplate) and starter should work. If externally balanced, you'll need a flywheel/flexplate intended for externally balanced motor.

Fan and motor mounts will all fit, but if it's the four blade 307 fan I'd suggest an upgrade. Your motor mounts will also work, but if they are old at all, I'd replace them. Keep your 307 frame stands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 05, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

internally or externallly balanced, i havnt unwraped it yet i will tonight thanks bpos

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 05, 06:00 PM

I too am in the process of swapping a 307 with a 383. I just bought upgrades for my radiator and fan as well. I also had to swap out my starter to one that fits a 168 flywheel since my old starter was for the 153 that was in the 307.

I also bought upgraded motor mounts and new frame stands based on what I read on David Pozzi's site. But now that I read your advice Al I wonder if I've done the right thing. My 307 motor mounts were the thin ones like the one on the left side of David's pic . I assumed I should get the hi-po, thicker, interlocking one that's similar to the right side of his pic so I ordered a set through Rick's (EP-175). I also assumed with the thicker mount I'd need the shorter frame bracket as described on David's site so I bought the frame mount for the mount which was EP-128.

Should I have the installer just leave the 307 frame stands in? I assumed they were a little taller with the stock, thin 307 motor mounts and should have ones a little shorter with the hi-po, thicker mounts.

BTW Al, thanks again for the advice on the BTO 2004R. It should be here Tuesday.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 05, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I kept my 307 frame stands, and just told the guy at the local parts counter I needed mounts for a 69 Camaro 307. From what I've heard - on this site - is that the 303/327 frame stands possibly give a bit more clearance at the firewall to install a big cap HEI distribitor, which is what have on my 383. If you plan on a small cap type distributor, I wouldn't worry about it.

On the flywheel - I think all of the external balance 400 flywheels/flexplates were 168 tooth. (I could be wrong). My motor is internal balance, so I went with the 153 tooth and kept my 307 starter.

Good luck on the 2004R!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 05, 03:23 AM
Senior Tech

Just went through this motor mount thing, my coupe was originally a 327/210, bought 350 mounts for the stroker and they physically don't fit on the frame mounts ( for a 327/210 ) Glad I checked that before I had the motor swinging overhead.

69 coupe 383 Dart,Scat,SRP...,M21, 411 12 bolt
69 ZII 350, auto,373 12 bolt
2017 Chevy SS sedan LS3
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 05, 05:15 AM
Senior Tech

Why wouldn't a 327 motor mount fit on a 350? What did you end up using?

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 05, 06:40 AM
Senior Tech

I used the same motor mounts from my 327 to my 383.

67 Camaro with 388 with Edleborck RPM heads, Air Gap, CC 282S, Tremec TKO
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 05, 07:34 AM
Senior Tech

The motor mounts for the 350 ( from Rick's 1st gen) were not wide enough to drop over the frame mount.I suppose they could have been pried openbut I wasn' tgoing there. I don't know why they are diff. , but they are. I ended up using 327/307 mounts ( engine side ) since my frame mounts were the 327/307 type.

69 coupe 383 Dart,Scat,SRP...,M21, 411 12 bolt
69 ZII 350, auto,373 12 bolt
2017 Chevy SS sedan LS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode