Rear end noise - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

I have a "whining" sound coming from the rear end that I just put in my '79 Camaro. It only does it under power. When I back off the gas,
It stops, step on it ,even slightly and it starts again. No clunks, or grinding, just this
kind of high pitched whine. It is a 3:08 posi from an '81 Firebird Thanks.
JR

------------------
'79 Camaro
'95 Z-28
'96 Harley BadBoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Has anybody done anything to it like replacing bearings or gears? Sounds like the set up on the gears has been messed up or the gears have gone bad.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech

There is just some wear on the ring and pinion as long as the whine does't get louder or start doing it when you let off the gas don't worry about it. My old Nova wagon has been doing it for 15 years and I haven't touched the ring and pinion.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 08:45 PM

when ihad 4.10s in my car it also whined like that but mine only whined around 1800 to 2000 rpms im not sure what it was but i think your suppose to hear so much winding with a low geared rearend though not sure
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 04:49 PM
Senior Tech

My ex-neighbors 73 chevy truck had the same problem...problem was the pinion nut kept backing off and was creating tons of slack in the rear end...we ended up replacing the rear end after the old one grenaded. You might want to check it out!
I also have a co-worker with a 77 chevy 3/4 ton van (400sbc/th400) with a 3.40 geared 12 bolt...it whines like crazy. He said it has done it since new and now has 156k miles on it with no trouble.
------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

[This message has been edited by travis (edited 03-26-2001).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 02:52 PM
Tech Team

When I had that exact problem in a 84 TA it turned out to be a bad ring and pinion. Never leaft me road side but sure bugged the heck out of me until I replaced them and it stopped. Hope this helps.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 01, 12:50 PM

only 2 things could cause the rear end to whine. 1. the ring and pinion was setup incorrectly in the previous car and has worn that way. 2. when you installed the gears in your car, the backlash/pinion depth was adjusted wrong. if the whine only started after the gears were put in your car, i would make adjustments, otherwise let it go as long as it doesn't get any worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode