Fuel Line for Edelbrock Carb? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 04, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

A while back, my rubber fuel line finally died, after years of being smashed between the carband the air cleaner.

I ordered up the proper taller air cleaner, & put it on with a new rubber line. It's way better.

I also ordered Edelbrock's fuel line kit. This is 2 part#'s. The lower section came in, it's a braided hose w/fittings. I was hoping for a ss hard line.)

The top peice, a ss line w/90 degree banjo fitting on the carb, and replaceable fuel filter, has been backordered for nearly 3 MONTHS!

Anyone have any other ideas?

What I'd like is ALL SS hard line, Banjo off the Edelbrock carb, and a replaceable filter in the middle somewhere. Something that will hug the front of the block line a stock line, and fit with the preformer rpm. If it was a Holley or a q-jet, it would be easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 04, 07:42 AM

JimM I have 2 of the type edlebrock fuel lines that go to the carb like you are talking about on 2 of my cars.The setup i went with was to use some 3/8" tubing like used for brake lines.Before i bent it i used some steelwool to polish and then some wenol polish.You might be able clear coat it but i just hit mine with polish every now and then.The Fitting I used was a Russell tube adapter P/N 799-639200 from JEG'S.I don't think it will work with stainless.Good luck
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 04, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Sorry bout the double-post, and thanks for the replies.

I did some searching for an alternative, starting at edelbrock.com.

They sell this line with an SS filter (#8131) which I ordered from summit months ago... They also sell it with a blue filter (#8134) which summit has in stock!

Called and switched it, will have it Tuesday. Thanks again.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 04, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Finally....almost.

Here's the before pic.... rubber line straight off the carb, interfered with by the air filter, an accident waiting to happen.

After waiting 2 months, and not getting the 8131 line kit, I changed the order to 8134 (blue filter instead of polished) Summit had this one.

The "universal SS fuel line" #8123 turned out to be braided, I'd hoped for polished hard line.

Also pictured is the box for the 1221 air cleaner, this one is 3/8" taller than standard, and WILL CLEAR the electric choke.

Here's what it would have looked like, had it this 10 minute project gone as planned.

Unfortunately, it didn't quite go as planned. The braided line kit includes an "an" to 3/8 male pipe adapter, and my stock fuel pump has a 5/16 flare fitting!!

So, after a fruitless search of local auto and hardware stores looking for an adapter or a holley fuel pump, and then finding that in my effort to get the fitting off the stock fuel pump (IT DOES NOT COME OFF!) I'd crushed the fitting and the original line won't go back on. So, I pushed the ragtop back in the garage and took the kids trick or treating.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 04, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech

Question

JimM,
The pic you posted, 3rd one down, the one what is was supposed to look like, is that a hard line between the pump and the filter?

I already have the chrome line from Edelbrock that hooks to the carb and I just screwed a nipple on the end of it to attach a rubber hose. I think one of those screw on filters should just screw onto the line if I take the nipple off. Then I want to put a hard line on after that to the pump. That pic is just exactly what I want.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 04, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The pic shows a hard line that comes straight down from a banjo fitting on the carb, bends 90 degrees forward and ends in a -6an female fitting.

The kit I got included a filter w/ male an fittings. I don't see the filter separately at summit, edelbrock shows it as #8130, that should work at summit, too.

What's not really clear is what fitting you have on your fuel line without the filter. If it's a -6an male flare, then the filter will go on, but I'm not real sure about mixing conventional hard line flare stuff with braided an stuff, they are different.

Edelbrock has like zero info on this stuff, and summit doesn't have much more.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 04, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Well, the saga of the (search phrase) "edelbrock carb fuel line" is complete, finally, but not without some more frustration. (Solution followup per admin... hehe)

I thought I'd scoped this out pretty well. Along with the Holley 110gph pump, I ordered a pipe to hose fitting for the inlet, and, seeing that the pipe to -6an 90 that edelbrock supplied would no way clear the lower radiator hose, I also ordered a -6 to 3/8 npt 45.

I open up the holley pump, and the fittings are 180 from each other, straight fore n aft. I try to put it on, but the inlet fitting goes right into the motor frame mount. 2 hardware stores later finds a f to m 90 pipe fitting, into which I screw the pipe to hose, and other than a pretty long loop of rubber hose on the inlet side, all is well and running again.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 05, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech

Update on fuel line project......
I called Summit tonight twice and finally ordered some parts. I HOPE I get the ones I need. I talked to 2 different sales people and basically got the same information. The last guy seemed a lot more knowledgable than the first. I told him what I was wanting to do and he seemed to know exactly what I would need and started listing off part numbers. He told me he had done the same project once before on one of his rides.

I will be getting these parts:
Edelbrock inline filter 8129 (polished) $44.39
Earl adapter 981606 2.25
90 degree bent tube -6AN 309106 14.50
45 degree bent tube -6AN 304606 14.50
Earl's Auto flex hose -6AN 303006 14.88
shipping 8.95
total $99.47

I told him my biggest concern was the fitting that goes into the stock fuel pump. The part number listed above for the adaptor is probably going to be the wrong one. Also, I think the banjo tube on my Edelbrock carb has a 3/8 NPT thread and the part number for the inline filter shows it has -6AN threads on both ends. If that is the case, then I can just order the adapter with the 3/8 thread on one end and the -6AN thread on the other.

I was also out measuring and it looks like the heater hose coming out of the manifold may be in the way. I might be able to loosen the banjo fitting and point the tube up just a bit to clear the heater hose.

I hope this works because 1 Ben Franklin is a heck of a lot for just a short fuel line!

[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 05, 03:56 PM
Senior Tech

Well, another update to MY saga of the new fuel line project. The items listed above were not ordered except for the Edelbrock Fuel line kit 8123 and filter 8219. I also got the Edelbrock pump 1721 and a 3/8 to -6AN adapter(the adapter is to attach the inline filter to the banjo kit already on my carb. I ordered the one with the 3/8NPT female end some time back).

Now, I see I am also going to have to make a 90 bend for the inlet side of the pump and also have a 90 bend for the back side of the filter. So.......off to the parts store again tomorrow.

And just to think I just wanted to eliminate the rubber line with all the clamps!
[img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 05, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Here's the pic I didn't post before, the finished product of the fuel pump end of my project "how to spend a 100 clams to get rid of 4 hose clamps"

That really tight hardware store brass 90 clears the motor mount by a quarter inch. (not recommended for 500hp motors) The 45 off the front gets the line in front of the lower rad hose, and helps stretch it out a bit, the edelbrock hose is a touch long on a small block.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode