How important is a roller cam? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 03, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Hey Guys, I am looking at building or buying a new engine. I am going to use some form of EFI (not decided which yet). I feel that a factory roller cam block/engine would be the way to go. I am not a big fan of roller conversions. I currently have a 4 bolt "010" block and forged crank in my garage. I really can't decide if I should use this or look for a roller block.

Is a roller block really worth finding or should I use what I have? Looking at about the 350-400 HP range. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 03, 07:59 AM
Senior Tech
Al

If it was me, and money was an issue,(and it is!) I'd use the block and crank that you already have. The two things you need to make sure of with a roller cam are that the lifters can't spin in their bores and that the cam can't come out of the front of the block. While the factory GM method for ensuring these two things is clever, I don't think it's any more clever or effective than what the aftermarket has come up with.

The main bebefit of a roller cam that I see in a mild street engine like what you're talking about is reduced friction. You also greatly reduce the chance of wiping the cam on break-in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 03, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I agree with above. I'd worry about using a roller cam if you want to turn some high RPM's or are in the 500HP range.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 03, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I really like the GM method for cam and lifter retension. Just seen too many lifter tie bars fail. I would hate to lose an engine because of that. Still trying to figure out what I am going to do. Maybe scaling back on the engine build up to make sure I can do the Tremec TKO, Baer brakes and related chassis items. Thanks again. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 03, 11:28 AM
Tech Team

for 350-400hp you would be waisting your money for a roller setup in my opinion. You could easily make that amount of power with a hydraulic or solid flat tappet and save some cash for your Tremec, Baer, etc...

67 Camaro<br />383-SRP Pistons, Manley Rods, Cola Crank, Edelbrock Performer RPM package, Speed Demon 750 dp, MSD Ignition, 9" rear
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 01:25 PM

I went solid roller in my 302. I love it. I will never run anything else. VERY noticable change from the offroad cam. Of course I did add AFR heads, crossram (offy), Mallory cd ignition, etc. Revs much much faster. But it is expensive. --Bryan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 03, 10:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

A Roller gives you:

less friction

and the opportunity to use much quicker valve opening, that is, a higher lift without a whole lot more duration and overlap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 03, 02:29 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

But remember, a roller needs BIG valvesprings! The reduction in friction from the lifters is somewhat countered by the friction caused by valvesprings.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 03, 10:55 PM
Senior Tech

if you want to save some bucks up front, but keep the roller option open for the future, find a factory roller 350 block, and just put a flat tappet cam in it.
i have the HOT cam in the 87 roller block in my Nova-and love it- but i probably could have gotten similar power from a regular hydraulic for $400 less. then again, would the car idle as well as it does with the roller (like a stocker at 800rpm) and get 17 mpg with 3.70 gears? probably not.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 03, 01:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Right... With less overlap and duration, a street roller can be much more driveable than a flat tappet that puts out the same peak power

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 03, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I think I am going to hunt down a roller block. Since I have to buy everything, doing it right the first time sounds like the way to go. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 03, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech

My .02, nothing's stronger than the 010 smallblocks, after 1980 small blocks went on a diet, and the result was a weaker block, drilling 6 additional 7/16 holes to accomodate 4 bolt maincaps aggrivated this and I find more cracked 4 bolt cores than 2 bolts in those years. The smallblock went on another diet in 1986, making this even worse. I'd stick with your block, and if you need a roller cam, i'd go with quality aftermarket...

John...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode