BBC swap is worth it? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 05, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Jim

HI, looking for input on weather it's worth the hassle of swapping a big block into a 71 camaro with a perfectly good running 400 small block? car is mainly a weekend driver the 454 I have is 40, over 8 to 1 comp. comp 260H cam, peanut port heads performer intake with a 750 performer carb. I've already got a t-400 in the car 10 bolt 3.08 open rear end w 275 60 15 tires. Car also has a new 3 core rad. and I just got summits 79 dollar bbc headers and repro bbc frame and engine mount. Would the hood clear the air filter(drop base)? I've already got the water pump fuel pump 454 flex plate and balancer, also alt. and bracket and ps bracket isbolted on the 454. If I do this swap I'm asking for anything I may have overlooked. thanks Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Front bumper height, front tires rubbing on fenders during a turn, and the skinnier the tire, the easier it will be to turn at slower speeds.

I wouldn't slam the hood shut until it was all together. Then use Playdoh on the air cleaner to find the height. Min 1 inch would be needed.

However, the "grin factor" would increase a hundredfold........"Seat-of-the-Pants" meter would pegged.....

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 03:02 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

With those heads and that compression, I think you'll be disappointed with the swap. Put a set of big ovals on it and bump the compression about 1.5 points and you'll grin every time you turn the key or punch the loud pedal. I wouldn't do the swap as-is, though. The little bit of extra power you'll get will be more than offset by the weight gain.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

There is also a "GAWK" factor at play here. Built SB are great buy a BB causes one's head to snap.

Daddy's Hot Rod.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 09:01 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Everett#2390:
Front bumper height, front tires rubbing on fenders during a turn, and the skinnier the tire, the easier it will be to turn at slower speeds.

I wouldn't slam the hood shut until it was all together. Then use Playdoh on the air cleaner to find the height. Min 1 inch would be needed.

However, the "grin factor" would increase a hundredfold........"Seat-of-the-Pants" meter would pegged.....
If you install the right springs, ride height is not an issue.

1" of clearance for the air cleaner? Not even.
I fit an edelbrock RPM intake and holley 3310 under the stock flat hood of my 67 with a $25 Taiwan drop base air cleaner.
That combo will work fine in a 71.
In a 71 you don't even need to swap engine mounts.
A 454 for a small 400? easy choice, even with the peanut port heads. But like the other guy said snag a set of 70-71 big ovals for that 454, and enjoy tire shredding, body twisting torque.
The only thing additional I'd recommend is to get a set of Hedman elite headers, really good ground clearance, and decent performance.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Jim

Thanks for the input! I do have a set of 292 oval port heads off of a 71 402. I thought that the peanut port heads run out of air at 5000 and the cam is out at about 5200 and the intake at 5500. will the oval port make that much more power or would the cam and intake negate any power gain from the heads. also the peanut port does have the hardened seats. any input would be greatly appreciated. One more thing if I do switch heads can I reuse the head gaskets? the motor has never been started. the gaskets are not the steel they are ROL that came in the re ring kit. and would the 292 heads increase the comp. any. thanks Jim
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech

I'd keep the compression where it is and bolt on a supercharger or turbocharger and run about 9 lbs of boost (no need to go insane with boost here). It'll cost you one or two (depending on the neighborhood) Southern California mortgage payments, but that grin will be much bigger when you press "GO!"
Both you and the bolt on huffer will go "WEEEEEEE!"

Tim

Meanchicken
68 SS
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
87 Buick Grand National (does 10's)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 05, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Personally, I'd leave the BBC alone and run it as is. It has an 8:1 comp ratio, plus as you stated, hardened seats.

I'd re-torqued the heads just to be sure and ROL gaskets are fine. Remove heads, replace gaskets.

As Tim suggested, maybe later add a turbocharger. If you want alittle more power, the most cam you can add without changing springs, would be the next level up, a 268 or 270.

The peanut port heads are good heads for making torque. Trucks use them. The small port keeps intake velocity up for good cylinder filling. Besides, BBC really don't care to be wound up and torque is what pegs your Seat-of-the-Pants meter.

The above is just my 2 cts. But, a weekend's work, I'd drop it in the car and try it. Place the driver's side header in first before dropping the engine.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 05, 02:54 AM

Angry

Use a set of .020" thick steel shim headgaskets and raise your CR. a schosh more. I have them on my 496.

I figure hopefully about .3 point more of CR.??

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode