67, 327 which tranny? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 01, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1967 camaro 327 i have put on some performance parts, crane powermax cam and lifters, performer rpm, edelbrook 600cfm, roller tip rockers hooker headers and dual flows. I currently have a powerglide tranny i was wondering my car could handle the rpms or should i get a turbo 350 or muncie 4 speed. Which tranny would be best??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 01, 09:59 AM

I had a 67 327 with a four speed. It was mildly modified and I had no trouble with the four speed. Unless you are putting out lots of power, I think a four speed is much more fun. just my opinion and don't forget to consider the costs involved to switch.

------------------
69 Z28 clone w/502/502
69 Hugger Orange Yenko
http://communities.msn.com/427cruiserphotosite
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 01, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech
John

switching from auto to a manual trans is a big job. What rear end gear are you running? If you have a very low gear, the first gear of the TH350 may not be very useful, if you have a higher gear, the first of the PG might not work well. I have a similar setup and I swapped out the PG trans for a TH350. I run a 3.73 rear and the setup runs great and has no probs. I would say drive around on the PG and see if it holds up, if it doesn't, then think about switching. The TH350 swap was no problem at all, just make sure you go with the short tailshaft so you don't have to shorted the driveshaft.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 01, 12:51 PM

I have a friend that has over 600hp to a TH350 in a '68 Camaro.....that would hold up just fine.
4 speeds rule, but it will take some more work.

Good luck!

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Speed Demon 750, RPM intake,Proform HEI dist.MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and 3000 stall.Powertrax NoSlip Locker
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 01, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

I just replaced a PG in my 68 with a TH350. It was no sweat except the column shift linkage (I'm guessing you have the column shifter). I had to make my own linkage. The shift lever on the trans I made from 3/4" wide X 3/32" thick flat bar stock and the rest by cutting up the column shifter linkage from a later TH350 equipped car. With 3:23 gears I like the TH350 a lot better than the PG - especially off the line.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 01, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

ya i think i will try out the powerglide for a while if it doesnt work out to well i will invest in the th350
thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode