Intake/Cylinder Head Defect? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 05, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Request some assistance on a troubling intake manifold/cylinder head misalignment...

407 CU IN SBC with AFR 210 heads and a Holley 950 Commander EFI (single 4 barrel looking intake manifold)

Have 1000 miles on the combination with repeated oil fouling of the #8 cylinder. I resealed the intake once already with Fel Pro 1206's and RTVed the intake ports as per AFR recommendations (initial install I did not seal the ports). I also repeated sealing the intake rocker stud with ARP sealant...just in case.

I have the intake off again for the same discrepancy...this time I note significant wear on lower 1/3 of the distributor gear...

The intake is higher off the block than I'm used to seeing (measured 1/4 gap between block and end rail) so with the oil sucking at #8 and the excessive dizzy gear wear...I'm convinced of an alignment problem.

The block was zero decked, heads and intake are brand new.

I plan to take the intake to the machine shop in the morning for a look see...

What are the chances the intake is warped (new!)?
Heads are defective (in respect to poor locator holes or incorrect intake angles)?
Intake just needs machining on the angled portions?

Any experiences out there?

Thanks a bunch...

1969 Nova SS 350
EFI 407/TKO600/4.11
11.43 at 121 MPH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 05, 09:17 PM
David Pozzi

Put the intake on and tighten it. Remove one end bolt and check the alignment of the intake bolt hole, do the other end bolts one at a time, see if the bolts are hitting the hole on the top side, and preventing the manifold from sitting low enough to seal properly.
You may have to file the holes upward to allow it to sit lower. The four end holes on many manifolds are smaller than the middle holes.

David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 05, 02:33 PM
Bill

lm, name ??
Interesting that you are having this problem. My Matco tool guy is having the same problem with a 421 that he purchased from a very well known engine buider. The engine has been back twice and the problem still has not been fixed. We are starting to think that there is a problem in the heads also. His is flooding all the cylinders, and beleive me it is not because the intake gasket is not sealed up. This was an $12,000 complete engine with carb and distributor, dyno run etc. I will not mention the buiders name but would like to hear from you in an e-mail to see if yours is the same, and exactly which AFR heads you have.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 05, 02:44 PM

Question

It's not Mike H's problem engine builder is it Bill??

pdq67

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 05, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Well, we have more info now...

With the help of local machine shop, they believe I have two separate problems...
#1...distributor doesn't sit in the block low enough due to oil pump drive/block register/etc problem.

#2...slightly warped intake manifold at the sealing surface around #6 and 8 cylinders.

They cut a slight amount off both sides and removed the warpage...so will install tomorrow along with investigating the distributor problem.

My cylinder heads are AFR 210's with 76cc chambers...think 1050 is the part number.

I built the engine so I take the blame on poor setup from the beginning... [img]smile.gif[/img] Heh, I was quite happy it didn't scatter at 6600 rpm on the chassis dyno!

I think the #8 oil fouling will be solved...distributor problem...probably not at this point...

Thanks!

1969 Nova SS 350
EFI 407/TKO600/4.11
11.43 at 121 MPH

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

There was a thread at the Chevytalk site a while ago that mentioned a problem with the AFR heads puddling too much oil in the valve spring pockets and flooding the seals. I have not seen this problem personally, but these guys were actually machining a channel in the head to let the oil drain out of the really deep valve spring pockets.

Will see if I can dig up that thread and post a link.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode