Annoying tremble at clutch engagement - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 02, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

My car was suffering from vibration when the clutch were engaged in first gear. Also I could easily feel vibration at the clutch pedal when one rest the foot ovet it. So I removed the flywheel, and took it to a machine shop to get it resurfaced. To my surprize, when the flywheel/trans was re-installed, the vibration persisted. Drove the car a few times and removed the trans again to replace a broken front bearing retainer. This time, a new Centerforce II clutch kit was installed, together with a new throw-out bearing & pilot bearing and trans mount. Since the flywheel had been recently resurfaced, I didn't doit again this time. Know what, Murphy is around the garage these days, the car has the same symptom as before. Can I conclude that the problem is a faulty flywheel? Any other causes to that malady? If it's that, I'm planning to order a new GM unit, is that the best choice for the price?

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 02, 05:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Check the input shaft bearing in the trans.

Jody

------------------
MY CAMARO
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 02, 07:11 PM
David Pozzi

Have you dial indicated the bellhousing? Any chance the input shaft is bent or twisted?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 02, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

The bellhousing wasn't indicated, it's the same GM unit that came with the car when I bought it. As for the input shaft, how can it be checked? Removed from the trans in a lathe? Or can it be checked installed in the trans.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 02, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Usually, with the foot resting on a vibrating clutch pedal, its an indication of diaphram fingers not the same height from the flywheel.

But, with a new clutch, it might be an unbalanced flywheel. A chip may have gotten between the flywheel and machine's bed and planed off some material. Now, the flywheel would be thin on one place, and thick 180 degrees on the other side. Kind of a long shot, but, possible.

One can remove the input shaft from the trans real easy. Place the trans upright between two tables with the input shaft pointing down. Place a drain pan underneath the shaft. Remove the bearing retainer, and pull off. Might want to replace the bearing retainer, pretty cheap. Pull on the input shaft carefully straight down. There will be some needle bearings come with it and the fourth gear synchronizing ring.

For re-assembly, apply grease to the inside of input shaft, insert needle bearings into grease, place greased synchro ring onto shaft. Carefully insert shaft into trans making sure the three pawls engage with the three slots on the synchro ring. Tighten bolts when bearing retainer is mated to surface. Fill with oil after installing into car.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR DISAPPEAR UPON RAPID ACCELERATION"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 02, 03:54 PM

Check the engine mounts, specifically the drivers side.

Also, in the instructions read the part on break in. This is a common problem with dual friction type clutches (not just CenterForce).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode