Engine Alignment - Mounts - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Man I'm sore and tire. Just pulled the engine and tranny in my 68 coupe today. I'm getting ready to get the subframe blasted and painted. I figured this would be a good winter project since I can work on electical and plumbing. It will soon be too cold to paint.

To the point. I have an alignment problem with my cowl hood. The air cleaner is located about 1 to 1 1/2" too far back in the compartment so the hood won't close properly. I have a 350 in it now. The hood is after market. The car originally came with a 327. How do I identify which engine mounts I have? I couldn't see a part number (top-side). Are their pictures somewhere. Will different mounts fix my alignment problems? I expect I'll need a new fan shroud if I change mounts.

-dnult
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 08:44 PM

You'll need a new driveshaft as well. (Or you can have your existing one altered.)

[This message has been edited by ramcda (edited 11-10-2002).]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the reply, but what I really need is identification help and advice to relocate the motor if possible.

-dnult

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 04:28 AM
Senior Tech

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 08:50 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

dnult I have a similar problem with misalignment of the cowl opening. Are you using a cowl induction air cleaner? I have an open element aftermarket cleaner and it fits without incident, but is not centered. Also it allows the hot air from the engine compartment to flow out through the cowl!

I know the mounts I have are not original, but I don't know who made them (poly mounts)and the previous owner installed them. I am fairly certain the frame stands are original to the car. Mine was also a 327 from the factory.

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 11:58 AM
Kevin

You've kinda answered your own question. 327 and low-po frame mounts do not have any part numbers stamped on them (I've looked). The correct ones for 302 and 350/300 (the cowl hood engines) did have 507 and 508 part numbers stamped in them on top edge.

The easiest way to distinguish between them is the 327 ones are completely flat where rubber mount sits, but the 302/350 ones have 4 little dimples on top. A dead givaway.

I have seen them on Ebay for around $50 a pair.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, 3.55 posi too! Driver

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 11-12-2002).]
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kurt6325:
This may help you some....
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...aro_engine.htm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found part number there and pictures of the engine mounts, but not the frame. Kevin W. did give me a good tip though. Thanks everyone, between Kevin's post and pozzi's web site, I should be able to figure out what to do. I am running an open element air cleaner at the moment. I'm thinking of fabbing up a seal for it out of stainless at some point.

-dnult
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 03:11 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

dnult,

The cowl opening is off center the same with any of the small block frame mounts. there is very little difference (if any) between the frame mounts. Mine is off by about 1" with the engine sitting too far to the rear. If you tried to move the engine forward you would probably have trouble with header and oil pan fit. The tranny cross member will not fit either without drilling new holes.

IMO The key is an offset air cleaner. I fabbed my own cold air system up with parts I found in a thread here on this site using an air flow bell, a cake pan, and some rubber gasket as a base. You might try a search.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 04:17 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Eric,
Are you talking about the Cake pan Air Cleaner base that Carl Casanova put together?
Do a search for his user name CarlC (I think) and then go to his signature for his web site. He also has a trick set up for sub-frame connectors.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 05:35 PM
Senior Tech
Cameron

There was about 1.4" between the center of the carburetor and the center of the cowl induction hood opening on my 69. I too, fabbed up my cowl induction air cleaner (see signature). I had to build 1.4" of offset into it to make sure that everything lined up good. I think that some aftermarket intake manifolds place the carburetor to the rear of the car farther than a stock style manifold. That is the only reason that I can come up with for the misalignment. I have never noticed a big difference in engine placement in first gen Camaros. HEI distributors always seem to interfere with the firewall. I would think that would indicate that most small blocks are located in pretty much the same place.

------------------
69 Camaro w/400sb and Muncie four speed
Pics of My Car
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 02:58 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

As stated: this has been talked about. What most people have not thought about is this. Even though the difference in height seems minimal, when applied to the complete engine AT AN ANGLE your dimensions gain alot of distance from the front of the motor to the back. As far as I know, the transmission is mounted at the BACK, in the same locations!! The movement of the engine is only the difference in the height!! This is of course for small blocks only, as big blocks are offset.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air (not yet installed)
700R4 TPI transmission
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 02, 08:05 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

So if there is a difference between height in different SBC frame mounts there still would be no significant difference in front/rear offset required for the air cleaner base.

idoxlr8, I think that is the one. I think the setup was for a BBC so I had to play around a bit to make it work right with my SBC. The car was yellow - engine bay and all if I remember . . .
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 02, 09:05 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

A little test that can be performed , is to remove your thru bolts on your engine mounts and raise the motor up with a bottle jack, with a 2x4 on it, centered on your oil pan. Make sure you watch for clearance especially at your distributer cap ! Raise the motor only about 1/2". Now check where your carb. is. It should have moved back and up. (How much, I don't know.) Did this help? Let us know...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 02, 10:03 AM

[email protected] MAKES A OFFSET AIR CLEANER.I HAD TO USE IT ON MY BIG BLOCK.IT SET 1-1 1/2 TO FAR FORWARD.IT WILL WORK THE OTHER WAY TO.JEFF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode