Has anyone ever converted a 3 speed horseshoe auto to work with a 700r4 ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I have a 700r4 transmission in my 68 camaro. I was wondering how much trouble it would be to make a factory 3 speed auto horseshoe shifter work with this 4 speed transmission?
Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 03:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

It will work like a charm with the help of a conversion kit from http://www.shiftworks.com/ I got mine from one of their dealers I think it was about $80.00.

Funny thing, I was at a cruise in last week when I noticed a guy looking inside the car. I then overheard the guy say to his buddy "I didn't think they had overdrives back then but that looks original". I just laughed to myself.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Mine origionally had a powerglide.I just hooked it up to the 700.Cant manually shift the trans into 1st gear though.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 01, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks rojo!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 08:53 AM
Senior Tech

dale, you need to see if shiftworks can help you, too.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 10:18 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I just installed a shift works kit in mine this weekend! I can finally manually hold first!! It's easy to install and the directions are straight forward.

I think their quality could be improved on. The bracket that holds the cable at the trans broke where it mounts to the pan (when you tighten the pan bolts that hold it in place, the bracket is warped and snaps under 1 bolt. The piece that breaks off isn't needed!) and I was not able to adjust for the 5.5" distance they say is need from the back edge of the cable bracket to the center of the pin the cable mounts to with the shifter in OD and the tranny in OD as well. Was able to make up for this at the shifter though!!

I don't think the 3 pieces should have cost $80.00 but the kit does come with lots of hardware (bolts, carter pins cable clips etc.) and a shifter lense plate that I already had one of that cost me $12. as well..

All and all it did the job so it gets a thumbs up from me!!

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 11:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Hey Dennis,

Did you check out your neutral switch? Since it started right up in Park I didn't think anything about it. About a month later I was working on something and wound up starting the car while it was in drive, luckily no harm. Anyway it was a quick adjustment on the switch to fix it.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech
Markus

I did the conversion TH 350 to 4L60 on my 69`Camaro. The travel of the shifter is (nearly) the same.
I installed a self made piece of steel with the new positions for the gears and adjustable stopping bolts for first gear/parking.
Because I installed a LT 1-engine I used the switching unit (neutral, back up lamp etc.)from the 92`Corvette donor car.
So check for the right position of the switch.
A saturday afternoon and the work is done

------------------
69`Camaro, 92`LT 1 / 4L60
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 12:02 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Thanks for the tip Robert! I'll check it out tonight... I ran into a bit of a problem with turning it off with it in park. There was some slop in the shifter and even though it put the trans in park the linkage to the key (steering column) was not correct...

------------------
...Dennis
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

I dont get it,80$ to be able to hold the trans in 1st gear? My trans shifts beautifully,have absolutely no need to hold a 700r4 in 1st gear.Although,it would be cool to be able to know I could do it,if I felt like driving around at 25 mph and 4,000 rpm.I also installed a 700 in my 3/4 ton 454 truck/trailer puller.Didn't even have to adjust the shift linkage on it.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 09:06 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
What's not to get? The trans was designed to do something I don't have the tools to fab up the parts to allow it to do. Call me anal if you must, I want thing to work properly and converting my horseshoe shifter to work in all 4 gears needed to be done! I have also had the car to the track and finding the proper shift points to get the quickest et is not possible letting it shift when it wants.

------------------
...Dennis
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode